1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bright red Combs and waddles

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I see a lot of pics with really nice looking birds, most have nice bright red faces. mine do not.. im wondering if they are missing something in their diet? they are pretty healthy but have kinda a flakey thing going on there cambs and waddles..

whats up with that?

ETA : they are all laying and are on layer food. get treats, oyster shell and are spoiled with lots of fresh stuff from the garden and kitchen..
    was wondering if maybe it could be mites or somethig?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    How old are they? Maybe they're just not mature enough to be red. The red face, comb and wattles are a sign of being mature enough to lay.

3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    The age of the birds will help people answer.
    If they are young (not of laying age yet) then they will have paler faces and combs.
    If they are of laying age and are still pale than I am at a loss.
    I have young birds just reaching laying ages and they have started getting a lot redder in the last 2 weeks.
    I feed the chick feed still since mine are not laying.
    My other flock (11 years ago) had nice red combs and faces as soon as they got ready to lay as well. I fed them layer crumbles and treats of course. OMG the eggs they laid were incredible. They were all BA's with some odd ones in the group for color lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by