Bringing 11week silkie crosses home

SouthernAlbertafirsttimer

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2021
Hi, I’m a very new chicken owner and seriously getting overwhelmed by all the info on the internet. I currently have six, 4-5 week old chicks that are either sex links, leghorns and amerucanas and a friend is needing to rehome her three 11week silkie crosses. Will these new ones be ok with my current baby flock? They spend the day out in the coop and come in at night and my crew our still on starter feed. Not sure of sexes with any of them yet which is a whole other frustration as my neighbours really don’t want us to have roosters lol. Do they need to be quarantined? I feed medicated starter feed currently as well. And when do I need to start adding crushed shell ? We are in southern Alberta so the weather can be unpredictable

Hi, I’m a very new chicken owner and seriously getting overwhelmed by all the info on the internet. I currently have six, 4-5 week old chicks that are either sex links, leghorns and amerucanas and a friend is needing to rehome her three 11week silkie crosses. Will these new ones be ok with my current baby flock? They spend the day out in the coop and come in at night and my crew our still on starter feed. Not sure of sexes with any of them yet which is a whole other frustration as my neighbours really don’t want us to have roosters lol. Do they need to be quarantined? I feed medicated starter feed currently as well. And when do I need to start adding crushed shell ? We are in southern Alberta so the weather can be unpredictable
I would quarantine them then introduce them to the others, they should be fine.

First off, do you have adequate space for the total number of birds? If not, and you cannot expand the space, I would decline.

Quarantine would be advised but may or may not be feasible in all settings (you can't cheat on it) - give this a read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/

By "crushed shell" I assume you mean calcium? Calcium is for layers so the birds will not need it until they begin laying.

Back
Top Bottom