Bringing home babies questions

Just reebok

Chirping
7 Years
May 16, 2012
Columbia, South Carolina
Found a farm about 30 minutes from my house that is hatching BR chicks this week. I am hoping he gets 3 girls for me... But I am just waiting to hear. :)
For those that pick up your babies... What is the best way to transport them and keep them warm enough? Small box with a warm bean bag thingy (wrapped in a towel, of course). Also.. If I am getting 3, do I need to take them to a vet and get them the Mareks vaccine? I am getting my brooder box ready and pretty much have everything on the checklist there. I am working on the coop tomorrow. I think I want to do a coop with a small yard, and then a tractor to let them semi- free range in the yard. We have hawks in the area.. So no free- ranging, unfortunately.
I wish he would email me! I am so anxious!

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. A small box with a towel in it will be fine, just wear cool clothing so you can keep the car's heat on if needed. Good luck. :thumbsup

WelcometoBYC.gif

Found a farm about 30 minutes from my house that is hatching BR chicks this week. I am hoping he gets 3 girls for me... But I am just waiting to hear.
smile.png

For those that pick up your babies... What is the best way to transport them and keep them warm enough? Small box with a warm bean bag thingy (wrapped in a towel, of course). Also.. If I am getting 3, do I need to take them to a vet and get them the Mareks vaccine? I am getting my brooder box ready and pretty much have everything on the checklist there. I am working on the coop tomorrow. I think I want to do a coop with a small yard, and then a tractor to let them semi- free range in the yard. We have hawks in the area.. So no free- ranging, unfortunately.
I wish he would email me! I am so anxious!

They should be okay for just 30 minutes - As 4-H chicken mom said, keep the car warm if you can. Many hatcheries don't recommend Mareks vaccine for small flocks. I'm not even sure vets will have it, they tend not to have chicken things. Many people, including me, have raised chicks without that. If you have a big flock then you may want to get it. But you be okay, don't worry
smile.png

I know how exiting it is, I hope he hurries up and e-mails you!
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom