1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bringing Home fully-grown geese.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Strong Haven, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Strong Haven

Strong Haven Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Someone has offered us a trio of fully-grown geese, we're supposed to go pick them up tomorrow. What should I know about bringing fully-grown animals around? So far I've only ever raised chicks or ducklings, so we've never had a problem confining them. [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif] These geese have been part of a large flock that runs free through the goat pasture and yard where they currently live. I'd like to free-range these geese [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]eventually[/FONT][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif], but I don't want them getting lost in the woods or flying off. We have ducks and chickens, could I put the geese in the pen with them or is this a recipe for disaster?[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]How do I train these geese to look on our yard as their home?
    [/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Any help is greatly appreciated.
    [/FONT]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't put them with chickens/ducks not knowing how they would react. maybe some temp fencing and housing till they are use to their new place and use to their new flock. My geese are fine with my ducks and chickens to a point that point being don't get too close or get in my way. So it may take a week maybe not that long but giving them a safe place to be while they are getting use to their new diggs is important. Good feed and drinking water and of course treats will help them settle in too. And feeding them close to where they will live once you let them out will help. Oh and my geese don't sleep with my ducks or chickens i think they do better having their on sleeping quarters.

3. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    X2

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    I wanted to suggest that it may take more than a week for them to settle in. Sometimes it takes a while for them to adjust to change - No more than a month though, I would think. It took my geese a while to recognize their coop as a "safe place" and would have to be herded in, now they go on their own.

Definitely agree on the treats, fresh greens, and fresh water though! That will def help. Will this be your first time with geese?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Your so right GB geese have a hard time with change so them being use to their surroundings in a week maybe stretching it a mite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by