Bringing home new hens

Mines a American Standard and lab mix and she heards them gently,she never bothers them just watches them do what chickens do. When I say it's time to put the birds up she starts hearding them towards the pen. The only way I think she knows how to do it is by watching me the first few weeks we had them. Not to brag but she is the most brillain't dog I've ever owned. Her only limitations is me.
That’s exactly how I feel about my dog too! Typically it takes minimal training to get him to do what we ask him to. People ask me all the time how’d we get him to be so good and I tell them we just got lucky! I’m pretty sure it’s all him and just a little bit of us lol

We don’t actually have a run. The farm here is really old (the house was built in 1900 and my guess is most of the outbuildings were built then too) there’s a chicken coop but there was no run built with it. I just figured since it worked for the previous owners it would work for us too but I’m second guessing that now.

Back then, every flock would have had at least one rooster, to protect and call the alarm.

And the nearby hawks and foxes and such, back when there was more undeveloped land left wild, had lots more options for their dinners.

Back then, every flock would have had at least one rooster, to protect and call the alarm.

And the nearby hawks and foxes and such, back when there was more undeveloped land left wild, had lots more options for their dinners.
That makes sense. Where I live used to be a 120 acre farm. They had cows, pigs, chickens, and probably a few other things. I guess it was busy enough around here during the day to keep most predators away. That’s definitely not the case these days lol

Amazing how different breeds of dogs innately know to do different things. We used to have neighbors who had a mutt that was part retriever. She would chase our chickens down, catch them and take them home, largely unharmed. The dog owner would sheepishly call me or come over, terrorized chicken in hand.

Amazing how different breeds of dogs innately know to do different things. We used to have neighbors who had a mutt that was part retriever. She would chase our chickens down, catch them and take them home, largely unharmed. The dog owner would sheepishly call me or come over, terrorized chicken in hand.
Omg lol poor chickens! It really is amazing though. I can tell my dog just instinctively wants to force the chickens into the coop. I guess that’s where he thinks they belong lol he’s starting to get used to them now and barely pays any mind to them

Back
Top Bottom