Bringing in new

CrazyChickLady64

Songster
Nov 5, 2023
Sulphur Springs Texas
How long is long enough? I have 11 hens and 3 pullets. The pullets are almost 5 and 4 months old. I just got them in September and have had them in a coop/run separate. Till 2 days ago when I put them in the big run with their own little coop but separated from the hens. How long should I wait to put them all together.

You are way more patient than me. Whatever works with you life. I think that I would not put them together unless it is in a time period where I have 2 days to keep and eye on them.

I would put them together much sooner. However A LOT depends on you set up. I have a lot clutter, and hideouts and roosts with multiple feed stations, hidden so that a bird that is eating at one, can't be seen at a bird eating at another.

My general rule of thumb is do look but don't touch, until the old birds are ignoring the new ones, and just doing their own thing. That can take a few days, or weeks. Also, as Mrs K said, lots of clutter in run, multiple feeding stations, etc. when you do introduce.

Back
Top Bottom