Bringing new guineas

They are so fun to watch! I was recently proud of our boy (Ghost, a lavender). He is the only boy with seven girls, but his main four are on a nest so he hangs out all day with the other three. I caught a grasshopper and threw it to him, and he subdued the little beast then brought it to his three girls! I can’t decide if that’s sweet or if it’s more like he’s a player since since main girls are with the kids! Nah, it’s sweet, it’s not like he has any completion!

Omg they’re beautiful!

Hey, if they’re his ladies, then they’re his! LOL whether main or side ladies! Gotta keep the girls happy!!

My Gus has been picked on ever since mating season started (this is their first laying/mating season) since it was 4 males and 1 female. I’ve searched and searched for females and FINALLY found these girls! I just hoped he would take to them and make them his group and he did just that. I’m just so happy for him! He was SO happy and so attentive to them!!

Omg they’re beautiful!

Hey, if they’re his ladies, then they’re his! LOL whether main or side ladies! Gotta keep the girls happy!!

My Gus has been picked on ever since mating season started (this is their first laying/mating season) since it was 4 males and 1 female. I’ve searched and searched for females and FINALLY found these girls! I just hoped he would take to them and make them his group and he did just that. I’m just so happy for him! He was SO happy and so attentive to them!!
Funny that I have the opposite problem - it was one male to eight females until I lost Mouse to a bobcat... I’m hoping to add males from either the communal nest that the girls are sitting on or the eggs I’m incubating...I guess that would make any future babies pretty inbred though so I’d need to get some outsiders in eventually?

Attachments

• 664FA805-B6F8-45EF-8FEE-9E34ECA9177E.jpeg
    664FA805-B6F8-45EF-8FEE-9E34ECA9177E.jpeg
    856.8 KB · Views: 6
Funny that I have the opposite problem - it was one male to eight females until I lost Mouse to a bobcat... I’m hoping to add males from either the communal nest that the girls are sitting on or the eggs I’m incubating...I guess that would make any future babies pretty inbred though so I’d need to get some outsiders in eventually?

Oh my gosh! How many eggs are in there!?

It’s funny you bring that up, because I’ve always questioned that as well. I’m sure @R2elk could shed some light on the inbreeding situation because I’m completely clueless. I’ve never hatched my own.

Hey y’all
Just a quick update on my guinea gang.

Gus has chosen his main ladies, specifically the two lavenders and a pearl all for him. Greedy Gus Gus. My second to lowest male on the totem pole, has chosen one of the girls for himself, they’ve instantly paired up and spend all day finding goodies for each other.

The last female of the 5 I brought in, has decided to join the old group, somewhat cautiously as my original hen is kind of a meany.

They are all doing great and everyone goes in their coop at night, I’m just so happy everyone seems happy.

Hey y’all
Just a quick update on my guinea gang.

Gus has chosen his main ladies, specifically the two lavenders and a pearl all for him. Greedy Gus Gus. My second to lowest male on the totem pole, has chosen one of the girls for himself, they’ve instantly paired up and spend all day finding goodies for each other.

The last female of the 5 I brought in, has decided to join the old group, somewhat cautiously as my original hen is kind of a meany.

They are all doing great and everyone goes in their coop at night, I’m just so happy everyone seems happy.
Awesome outcome!!!

I am incubating guinea eggs and will brood them for 6 weeks and then put them out in a 8'x8'x4' screened pen that is along side the chicken tractors. I have four 4 yr. old guinea males that free-range during the day and sleep on a beam in the barn at night. They are what is left of a flock of 12. The females would lay in the woods and got taken by probably foxes. I know for sure one of them got taken by a sky predator by the circle of feathers in one spot. I would loved to have females to hatch their own eggs but since that is not possible, how do I eventually incorporate these little ones with the older males. I plan on having them in the screened pen for at least a couple months. Will the males get used to visiting and seeing them in the pen so when I do let the young ones out, it won't be so dramatic on them. My four old ones get along with my chickens and even leave the little pullets and cockerels alone when I let them out of the end tractor, where I keep them separated from the rest of the chickens and guineas for a couple weeks. They are used to being seen by all so they are not picked on. I'm thinking it may not be that easy with letting the young guineas out? I also have a plan for when the females decide to brood in the woods to keep them safe, so there is not a repeat of the circumstances of the past.

Gus and his girls are still very happy :)

We’ve had another split.

I have my original pair, they stay together and do their own thing.
Gus has his three girls (2 lavenders and 1 pearl)

My other two boys took the last two girls and they’ve made a group of 4.

Everybody runs around and does their own thing but Gus ALWAYS makes sure the girls are in before he roosts :hearts:

Attachments

• 073604DC-0A57-4C6B-9309-C7D939D2F5DF.jpeg
    073604DC-0A57-4C6B-9309-C7D939D2F5DF.jpeg
    850.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom