Brinsea EcoGlow Chick Brooder Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CupOJoe42, Jul 6, 2011.

1. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I have 5 Quail D'Anver bantam chicks in a plastic tub with my Brinsea EcoGlow chick brooder. The chicks were born between June 26 and June 30, so they are about a week old or younger. I plan to move them into my large brooder as soon as we can get it finished (needs paint, linoleum, and wire mesh). The chicks are doing great - eating, drinking, pooping, peeping, sleeping, flying, growing, etc.

So here is my question:

It is very hot here in the daytime. Our house has ceiling fans, but no a/c and the temperature in our family room where the chicks are is about 84 degrees. I notice that the chicks sleep in the pine shavings in front (not under) the EcoGlow in the daytime. They use the EcoGlow at night and seem to love it. Because the EcoGlow takes up about a 1/3 of the plastic tub, and the food and water take up another third, the chicks don't have a lot of room. Should I remove the EcoGlow during the hot part of the day and see how they do? I don't want them to overheat or get chilled. They are not panting, but sleep a lot when it's hot. At night they all line up toward the front of the EcoGlow and sleep. I've even raised up one end of it on a block so that they can regulate themselves easier. What do you think?

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Mine just sit on TOP of the ecoglow when it's warmer, so it's not taking up as much space as you think. Although if it's raised up on one end that may not work. I leave mine in even on hot days, just in case, but my 10 chicks are in a large cage so they have lots of room.

3. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    I would leave it in, because I wonder whether or not if you remove it, will it freak them out when you put it back in? Will they be afraid of it then and not go under it when you put it back in? And like the other person said, mine sit on top of it, even my little Silver Sebright was getting up there shortly after coming home, so I think they could get on top if they were too warm. I also put a couple of sticks with one end resting on the top of the Ecoglow, making little roosts, and they like to hang out on those [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by