Brinsea Frustration!~~~!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThaJuicyJuice, May 6, 2011.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I was setting quail eggs in the brinsea eco this morning and fulling around with the slip in bar racks that go into the holding tray sides. It was extremely difficult to do so. Not only to keep the bars in place, but also fitting the eggs in the spaces. I cracked two eggs. I know it's my inexperience, but I am at a loss for words because this very impressive and expensive incubator has inferior egg racks compared to the HB turner. Any one with advice ?

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I have used several different types of substitute bar racks...very thin & flat wood molding, cardboard and cut strips out of the top of a styrofoam egg carton. I have much better luck with those 3 things than with what the bator came with. I also load the eggs when it's sitting at an angle and not sitting straight up.

3. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    I hate the racks for the Brinsea -- mine are warped and won't stay in place. Plus, if the eggs are just the right size the eggs roll around. I found this tip on BYC-- I cut the bottom of a styrofoam egg carton so it's just rings. Then I put the eggs in the rings and then in the tray. Not sure what you could use for quail eggs, but I would try and improvise to find something different.

Becky

4. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Quail eggs are a PITA to set in the rail type incubators, same with the King suro 20 but the rails are plastic. With the suro I put half the eggs in rails and half in clear quail egg carton halves and hatch results were the same for eggs incubated both ways.

If hatching quail again I would use the clear egg carton halves with rails between the halves to hold them in place for incubation up until lockdown (where rails would be removed and cartons taken out to be replaced with the cardboard ones.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by