Brinsea incubator and bantam eggs

CIW

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2020
Hi, I am considering buying a Brinsea mini II incubator. Does anyone know whether I would need to use the quail or chicken egg disk for Pekin bantam eggs - I am thinking probably the quail one? This will have a big impact on how many eggs I can hatch…

Hi, I am considering buying a Brinsea mini II incubator. Does anyone know whether I would need to use the quail or chicken egg disk for Pekin bantam eggs - I am thinking probably the quail one? This will have a big impact on how many eggs I can hatch…
I don't know exactly what size pekin bantam eggs are, but when I tried a variety of other breed bantam eggs in a Maxi II I had to use the normal chicken-egg disk. The one for quail eggs had holes that were too small, so the egg did not sit far enough down to rub on the floor underneath. So the eggs were just carried along without turning.

I found a few bantam eggs that were small enough to use the quail turner, but most were not. I think the only ones small enough were pullet eggs from Old English Game Bantams. The mature hens produced bigger eggs, and so did all ages of Cornish Bantams and Easter Egger bantams and whatever other breeds I had at the time (all were clean legged, which is how I know there were no Pekins.)

I cannot be positive whether Maxi II and Mini II have the same size holes in the disk. I would assume so, but cannot be positive.

I don't know exactly what size pekin bantam eggs are, but when I tried a variety of other breed bantam eggs in a Maxi II I had to use the normal chicken-egg disk. The one for quail eggs had holes that were too small, so the egg did not sit far enough down to rub on the floor underneath. So the eggs were just carried along without turning.

I found a few bantam eggs that were small enough to use the quail turner, but most were not. I think the only ones small enough were pullet eggs from Old English Game Bantams. The mature hens produced bigger eggs, and so did all ages of Cornish Bantams and Easter Egger bantams and whatever other breeds I had at the time (all were clean legged, which is how I know there were no Pekins.)

I cannot be positive whether Maxi II and Mini II have the same size holes in the disk. I would assume so, but cannot be positive.
Thanks, sounds like they might fit (they are only 4cm across) but I might have to just order it and see…

Thanks, sounds like they might fit (they are only 4cm across) but I might have to just order it and see…
I just measured a big egg from the grocery store: between 4 and 4.5 cm across the widest part, 5.5 cm the long way. I am sure that egg is way too big for the quail turner.

So if your egg is 4 cm across the wide part, it is also going to be too big for the quail turner.

(The length of the egg does not matter, just the width. I measured both ways on my egg just to be thorough.)

Yes, ordering it to see is definitely one way to do it. (It's what I did.)

Back
Top Bottom