1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brinsea Incubators, ect.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McCormack Farms, Mar 12, 2013.

1. McCormack Farms

McCormack Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Northern IL
    Hello all, I am encountering some strange things with both my Brinsea Octogon Advance EX and my Mine EX. I say strange because I'm not sure if it's necessarily bad, just odd.

I have had 2 hatches so far in the Octogon, and 1 in the Mini. I was very impressed by the control I had over the humidity and temperature. It stayed steady in both just as I had set it, at 99.4 deg and 45% (65% for hatch). The only time the temp went down was when it went into it's 120 minute cooling cycle.

Now the reason I'm posting this is because I've had in all my hatches in both incubators had all my chicks hatch on day 23 instead of 21. They piped on the start of day 21, but all waited until 2 days later to hatch. They were of good health, and have been doing fine since they hatched. The thing I want to know is why they take so darn long to come out. In my past experiences with hatching with a Genesis 1588, they all were out by the beginning of day 21.

Has any one else had any other odd experiences with the newer Brinsea models? Could it be the new cooling feature that they've put into them? Am I setting the cooling cycle for too long of duration?

Any help of experiences would be greatly appreciated!

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    I am not familiar with the new feature of the cooling down, but with my Octagon and Ova Easy I always had it at 99.6/7 degrees. I would try it without the cooling function if it is a concern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by