Brinsea Mini II Advance - Humidity Issue

Hmmm...... I'm not sure to be completely honest with you. I don't know if it can get an accurate reading in that amount of time. Any chance you're able to just leave the entire device inside the incubator? If the lid isn't closed completely, I'm not sure if the turner will work properly. I also worry about the heating element in the incubator because it will be trying to work overtime in it's attempts to keep the temperature up. Let's see what @WVduckchick thinks. She has a Brinsea.
Ok thank you! I’ll wait to see what @WVduckchick says. I could put the hygrometer in the incubator if you think it would be ok. I just didn’t know if it could start a fire or something?

As for your other questions, if the humidity in your home is normally on the higher side, you may be fine incubating without adding any water until lock down. 99.5°F is the correct temperature. Are these eggs from your own quail or did you have them shipped to you through the postal service? If they are yours and the incubator has been stable with the accurate temp, you're ready to set the eggs at any time. If these eggs were shipped to you, it's generally advised to let them rest with the air cell pointed towards the sky for some time. Different folks advise different times. I like to let eggs that have shipped to me for 24 hours, especially if the air cells are perfect.
Ok thank you! The eggs were shipped. I’ve had them with the air cell up (pointy side down) for 48 hours now.

You can weigh the eggs to help you with humidity as you incubate. I know that @Kiki and @MGG both incubate quail and are always super helpful. I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful
Thank you! You’ve been a big help!! I’ll have to research about how to check the humidity based on weight. I forgot about that. I remember reading that people do that. I don’t know how though. Maybe @Kiki and @MGG can share their knowledge too! Thank you again @HeatherKellyB

I have the Brinsea Mini II Advance incubator and had a couple questions. At lockdown I’ve been filling both parts of the water reservoir but still seem to be having trouble with the chicks hatching (possibly shrink wrapped) even though I don’t open the incubator during lockdown and have filled both water compartments. I incubated eggs last year with no problems. This year though most of my eggs are not hatching with quite a few dying during lockdown. I do have one chick hatch normally each time though! I’ve been assist hatching lately for the chicks that are struggling and all I can think is they are being shrink wrapped. I’ve been incubating chicken eggs and button quail eggs. Any suggestions?
My first guess wod be your humidity may be too high.

Thank you! You’ve been a big help!! I’ll have to research about how to check the humidity based on weight. I forgot about that. I remember reading that people do that. I don’t know how though. Maybe @Kiki and @MGG can share their knowledge too! Thank you again @HeatherKellyB
I would get a separate humidity gauge to salt test to put in the incubator.

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigar-101/salt-test/1818029/ Screenshot_20210605-132243.png

I have a separate thermometer with hygrometer that I calibrated this week. It showed 78% when I was calibrating it with the salt solution. When I put the probe in my incubator (for quite a few hours) it showed 40% so it’s really 37%, right? The incubator may have been a bit ajar with the probe going in and out of it though. Is it safe to put the whole thermometer/hygrometer inside the incubator? How long do I need to keep it in for an accurate reading?
Edited to add picture

Attachments

• B66702FA-C27C-43FB-B155-498F8E095DF6.jpeg
    B66702FA-C27C-43FB-B155-498F8E095DF6.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
My first guess wod be your humidity may be too high.
I didn’t know if it was too high or too low. During lockdown (when I put in an extra bottle cap of water), the sides of the incubator had steam/water droplets. I didn’t see any steam/water droplets for the first part of incubation.
I have my incubator running right now waiting for the eggs to go in and there is no steam/water droplets on the sides.

Back
Top Bottom