Brinsea spot check vs hovabator thermometer

txcarl1258

Songster
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Pleasanton
I am currently using a forced air hova bator genesis with a brinsea spot check thermometer as a back up. I have the probe at egg level and it is showing almost a full degree lower than what the hova is showing. Should I adjust the hova so the brinsea will show 99.5?

I am currently using a forced air hova bator genesis with a brinsea spot check thermometer as a back up. I have the probe at egg level and it is showing almost a full degree lower than what the hova is showing. Should I adjust the hova so the brinsea will show 99.5?

Maybe. My experience with the Brinsea Spot Check is that they are accurate. I can also tell you that the temperature in the Genesis can be vary as much as a degree at egg level from various locations in the incubator. So you may be a degree difference in one spot and right on with the Genesis reading in another spot.

I just recieved my spot check thermometer.I also have hovabator incubators.I took a reading with my spot check under the center unit and it read 99.0. I think that is how it said to take the temp in the hovabator dirrections.Where did you take your reading? I dont know if I should ajust temp. or not.Most of my last eggs hatched on day 21 with a couple hatching on day 22.I didn't count the day I put them in as day one.I also noticed the spot check took a long time to reach temp.!

Last edited:
I will say what I do with the spot check, and take it for what it's worth. Since the wire for the probe is somewhat malleable, with a little manipulation I can "drive" it anywhere in the incubator. I took as many readings as I could from the center, corners, and random spots. I took an average of all temps, and it was 99.0 at egg level. I bumped my temperature up half a degree and my hatches have been like popcorn on day 21 ever since

I will say what I do with the spot check, and take it for what it's worth. Since the wire for the probe is somewhat malleable, with a little manipulation I can "drive" it anywhere in the incubator. I took as many readings as I could from the center, corners, and random spots. I took an average of all temps, and it was 99.0 at egg level. I bumped my temperature up half a degree and my hatches have been like popcorn on day 21 ever since

Did you find it took a very long time for the temp to get to max? It reached 99.2! I will test other spots and see what they read.

Last edited:
Really? Took about one minute

Every time I went to check on it.It had gone up another.1? Is it that the bator is changing temp? Well I took temp in center and the highest reading I got was 99.4 and took one reading on right front corner and it was 100.0. I am confused!!!
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Every time I went to check on it.It had gone up another.1? Is it that the bator is changing temp? Well I took temp in center and the highest reading I got was 99.4 and took one reading on right front corner and it was 100.0. I am confused!!!
idunno.gif
I would say that's the incubator changing temp. Even in my Brinsea, I measure temps from 98.9-100.0. It's just the nature of thermal flow. The spot check reads quickly once it comes up to incubator temperature, so it will rise and fall with every different spot in regards to its distance from the heating element. That's why I adjusted for average temp. If I tried to correct for the low or the high, I would end up either too cold, or too hot. I'm not saying that what I did will work for everyone in every incubator, but it was perfect in mine.

I would say that's the incubator changing temp. Even in my Brinsea, I measure temps from 98.9-100.0. It's just the nature of thermal flow. The spot check reads quickly once it comes up to incubator temperature, so it will rise and fall with every different spot in regards to its distance from the heating element. That's why I adjusted for average temp. If I tried to correct for the low or the high, I would end up either too cold, or too hot. I'm not saying that what I did will work for everyone in every incubator, but it was perfect in mine.

thumbsup.gif
Thank you for the info.

Back
Top Bottom