Brinsea's Full, But the Hatch Isn't Done!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by serinat, May 17, 2011.

1. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    So, between 10:30 a.m. and now (9:11 p.m.), six poults and three chicks have hatched in my Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco. There are still five poults and one chick left to hatch, plus all the broken shells, and it's getting really crazy in there. Seriously tight. They're hopping all over each other, shoving eggs and egg shells left and right. I mean, they look fine and healthy, but that's the problem - healthy chicks are curious and active!

So, Brinsea users, do you remove your babies partway through the hatch? They're hatching so quickly now that I kind of want to wait it out and see if they all hatch soon, then I can empty all at once. Every time I think of opening the incubator, there are more zips, so I don't. I guess I need reassurance that the poults won't smoosh the chicks, or they won't all peck each other's feathers out, or something, LOL.

2. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Everyone says to not open during pipping and zipping, but I wait till they are dry enough to move to the brooder. I don't care if others are pipping. Simply monitor those in the hatching process so air circulation is not infracted by shrink wrapping.

3. L.L Farm

L.L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Maine
    If the chicks are dry, you can move them, but only keep the lid open for a second or two. If the others are pipping and zipping, try to be a quick as possible. Other than that, I would just keep an eyes on them, and if you do have to take them out, have the brooder ready [​IMG]

Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by