BriteTap nipple waterer

Guess I'll be getting handy and building a new winter waterer :)  Amynrichie, I'd love to hear how it goes without the pump - am thinking that I'll try first without and add it later if needed. 

Our Midwest temps have been down to 0 this week, and so far no freezing. There is frost above the water line, but the horizontal nipples have not frozen. I keep my bucket in the coop out of the wind.

So I found a fix... We've been below 0 for a week already here in Utah and no frozen water. My setup is such that I have to have my water station in my covered run not coop. I love my Brite Tap really wanted to use it.
I know this is NOT recommended by Brite Tap or Easy Tape but it's working like a charm! I wrapped a 3ft length of heat tape around the front box secured it with zip ties. It kicks on at Aprox 38' there is a built in thermostat that needs to be placed against a pipe- so I provided a piece of pipe. It's not pretty but the girls don't seem to bother it.
It doesn't get hot just warm and keeps the water and nipples from freezing. Been using it for a week, so far so good! Tonight it will be in the teens we'll see how it goes.

Thought I'd add that the heat tape plug has a light built in so you know when it's on... And I got the heat tape at Ace Hardware for about $22.00. I looked on line too but it was cheeper at Ace. They can cut you a piece of pipe too if ya need it :)

Last edited:
So I found a fix... We've been below 0 for a week already here in Utah and no frozen water. My setup is such that I have to have my water station in my covered run not coop. I love my Brite Tap really wanted to use it.
I know this is NOT recommended by Brite Tap or Easy Tape but it's working like a charm! I wrapped a 3ft length of heat tape around the front box secured it with zip ties. It kicks on at Aprox 38' there is a built in thermostat that needs to be placed against a pipe- so I provided a piece of pipe. It's not pretty but the girls don't seem to bother it.
It doesn't get hot just warm and keeps the water and nipples from freezing. Been using it for a week, so far so good! Tonight it will be in the teens we'll see how it goes.

BRILLIANT! That is so much easier than my idea- which, by the way, I'm glad I didn't order the parts for!

Thank you so much for sharing this... We had concerns about this method- especially after having the nipples themselves freeze so quickly (they froze within minutes of putting it in the coop). You have certainly inspired us to try it now though!

Update- we have had below freezing temperatures off and on for a few weeks. Our girls are doing wonderful and the modifications to our BriteTap is holding up great! We have a second BriteTap in our second run, closer to the house that I bring in almost every night as there is no power near it- we may remedy that this next spring :)

Last edited:
I wanted to add that I did clip off the some of the ends of the zip ties. I'll add a picture tomorrow...

Last edited:
We tested this method, and WOW! Have had negative temps (down to -11) and this thing works amazingly! Although, we do have ours in the coop so it stays warmer than outside temp. So glad I didn't have to haul water!

We do not use the Brite Tap but use a 5 gallon bucket with nipples coming out of the bottom. I am in Utah and it gets cold. Today I noticed the nipples were frozen in the morning from the small drops that remain after they drink. Tomorrow I am going to get a heat lamp and clamp it to the 2X4 that is next to the hanging bucket and direct it toward the nipples. Pretty sure that will work. We have a small bucket heater in through the top of the bucket that comes on when the water gets to 54 degrees and it keeps it all from freezing. Great system, nice clean water but the frozen nipples right now are an issue that we need to find a solution. I don't want to go back to the old style waterer that was so dirty and had to change the water almost daily.

Back
Top Bottom