Broad Breasted Bronze Turkey. Rant.

GoatFlowers

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 5, 2012
So I went to Horaney's Today (One of my local chain ranch stores.) I had been wanting turkeys since I started raising chickens. Well Horaney's was the only store with turkeys and their prices are really good! $5 for 1. Anyways I bought 4. When I was looking at them I asked the guy if they were broad/double breasted he said he didn't know. He then asked his co-worker and the man replied no as well. The sign above them just said Bronze Turkeys so I thought I was in the same zone. I then asked them what hatchery they went through, they said ideal poultry. I then bought the 4 turkeys, and 4 ducklings (One being a crested mallard.) Anyway, I was on my way home thinking of names and was so excited. When I got home I set their cage up and showed them the food and water. I stayed in there a little longer making sure they understood and petting their heads.(They are REALLY nice!) I then went to my phone and began searching ideal poultry. It didn't take me long to realize my hopes wear just crushed! The little turkeys were in fact broad breasted. I was really upset. I started searching around looking at pictures and blogs about them. I was saddened by what I had seen. They only had a life span of 4-6 months happily (If you call waddling around, your leg crumbling beneath you and never being able to catch your breath.) and Keeping them as a pet is just wrong, just as wrong as creating a creature that was bred for mass production just for the gain of humans. I continued reading more on the subject. Reading where people had bought them thinking they were normal turkeys, and then being terrible wrong when their beloved gobbler couldn't walk at 8 months, and died from smothering to death at 9 months! I was sickened! That These poor animals are bred to live not even a year and their lives be miserable. And to top it all off When the bred was created the USDA liked so much they found a easy way to artificially inseminate them, because you know the tom is so big it can't even MATE NATURALLY!!! It Just makes me sooooo MAD! I am calling the store tomorrow and asking if they can refund them. I just can't raise them and eat them. If the store won't take them I will sell them online for the price I paid for. I feel bad that they will only live just to die. I understand we have to eat but I rather eat a smaller turkey and it have lived a HEALTHY,HAPPY life than struggling to breath and walk.
I DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE BY THIS POST!! I am just ranting please do not get offended!!! I just find it rude to the animals!!! Please once again do NOT get OFFENDED!!!!

I actually raise the broad breasted whites, which get even heavier than the bronze. If you monitor their feed intake for a bit slower growth they are really much healthier. Their legs have time to grow with their bodies instead of crumbling under them from too rapid of weight gain. Yes, they were meant to be butchered & eaten, not held over to breed the next year. Since I raise them specifically for the meat, this is not an issue to me. I have had hens still literally running (not waddling painfully) around very happily at 9 months old when I butchered the last of them for Thanksgiving & Christmas diners. Toms I don't typically let go that long, only because they won't fit in my oven at 50 pounds. I butcher around 30-35 pounds live weight. Any who do develop leg problems (which is rare the way I do mine) are butchered earlier. I refuse to let them suffer. There is a proper way to raise birds for eating & there is the way the big companies do it with birds suffering. If you know what you are doing, these birds can have a fabulous life, all but the last 30 seconds, which is the best we can do for any animal meant for food.

So, I just thought you should hear the good side of this, rather than all the bad stuff from the people who over feed & let their birds suffer.

I think that that is a MUCH BETTER way of raising them! I am glad you replied telling me the way you raise them! I hate the way the big companies raise this poor poultry (And all the other animals) I rather raise my own than buy it from the store. At least then i know that they had a happy life!
smile.png

Thanks now i know there are still good people out there!

Good to know. We just bought 3 bronze, meant for food. I too, want them to have a life without suffering. I will watch how much they are being fed. So far they are growing fast, but appear to be very healthy.

It's best to start them at 22-26% protien left out 24/7 the first 2 weeks. Drop feed availability to 16 hours weeks 3-5 & down to 12 on 12 off by week 6. By 8 weeks of age, drop to 16-20% protein. Allow them plenty of room to move around & get exercise. Place food & water as far apart as possible to force them to get some exercise. If possible, allow them some free range time daily for exercise & foraging. Limit high protien treats & feed extra greens, fruits & veggies. About 2 weeks before butcher, you can put them into a smaller area & add extra protien again to finish packing on the last few pounds & a nice layer of fat quickly. Any who begin to show weak legs can be butchered early to make sure they do not suffer. Once they are over 10-15 pounds live weight they make a nice carcass that should get a decent meal for a family of 2-4, so nothing gets wasted even if an early butcher becomes necessary.

I use Kalmbach 20% flock starter grower pellet for turkeys and I have had no leg issues so far and the turkeys live with everyone else free ranging and getting to be real turkeys until it's time.

Don't believe everything you read. I had two Broad Breasted White straight from the factory farm. I got them at about 4 months old. They are almost a year now. I think. They didn't come with any information. They are fat and happy living with a relative because they did get mean and scared the kids. They play with the relative, run around the yard and seem to be happy. I don't expect them to live forever but they will enjoy life until the end.so far no health problems but they are still young. They can be pets to someone who isn't scared and has time for them. I would watch their temperament and be prepared to separate them from other critters if the need arises. Just my uneducated opinion.

I think that that is a MUCH BETTER way of raising them! I am glad you replied telling me the way you raise them! I hate the way the big companies raise this poor poultry (And all the other animals) I rather raise my own than buy it from the store. At least then i know that they had a happy life!
smile.png

Thanks now i know there are still good people out there!
Amen to that. Did you keep them? I have seven I am raising for pets and obsess about the feed and growth etc.

My Broad Breasted turkeys are cool! I really mean that. They will be by far the hardest animal I will have to butcher! And only after 5 months, I can't imagine having the personalities around for a year or two as in the heritage breeds in order to get a bird to butcher weight and then butchering. I also cant imagine my heritage turkeys after a year free ranging deciding one day to just fly away. I guess you need to buy the breed specific for your desires, I'm thinking of getting some royal palms or other heritage breeds for pets/guard Turkeys. I do agree all animals should be able to live happy lives and it's our responsibility to make that happen.

Back
Top Bottom