Broad spectrum antibiotic to have on hand?

Imustbecrazy1

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Hi everyone! My 4 day chicks are here! I am new to the chicken community but have wanted them FOREVER. One of our little ladies looks like she may be under the weather. She is standing very wobbly and under the heat panel often while the others are running around eating and drinking. Electrolytes are in the water and they have mash to eat. Is there anything I should do for her? It got me thinking that maybe I should have a broad spectrum antibiotic on hand in the event we will need something in an emergency. What do you think? Is there one anyone would recommend? Or not recommend?
Thanks for any feedback. 😊

She likely still has a bit of shipping stress. Keep her warm and I give them a boost by taking an egg yolk and a teaspoon of sugar and mixing it up for them. If they can't drink it as is, I thin it with a spoonful of black coffee.

I always make sure they have the chick starter that is medicated for coccidiosis, and that's generally the only medication they get their whole lives, besides a yearly fall treatment for lice and worms, and that only because I free range them with lots of other livestock and feel better safe than sorry before they have to be cooped for the winter. You don't even have to do that - testing first is very easy to do and many flocks/situations don't need it.

Generally there's not much a chicken will get that antibiotics will treat, and if they do, you want a specific one. And be aware, they don't get colds. Any sign of upper respiratory, and you don't treat, you cull before it wipes out your flock.

She likely still has a bit of shipping stress. Keep her warm and I give them a boost by taking an egg yolk and a teaspoon of sugar and mixing it up for them. If they can't drink it as is, I thin it with a spoonful of black coffee.

I always make sure they have the chick starter that is medicated for coccidiosis, and that's generally the only medication they get their whole lives, besides a yearly treatment for lice and worms, and that only because I free range them with lots of other livestock and feel better safe than sorry before they have to be cooped for the winter.

Generally there's not much a chicken will get that antibiotics will treat, and I they do, you want a specific one. And be aware, they don't get colds. Any sign of upper respiratory, and you don't treat, you cull before it wipes out your flock.
[/

How does poop look? Is her vent clear of anything that could block it? I agree with RiverOtter that it is most likely shipping stress, but you don’t want to eliminate the possibility of it being something else.
We’ve kept an eye on the vents for caking and they are all clear, the poop looks normal to me. Maybe she is just still adjusting. Thank you. 💛

Back
Top Bottom