Broccoli advice

Where are you located? What kind of season do you have? Could you post a photo of the plants so we have an idea of what you are working with.

Down here on the gulf coast I transplanted broccoli early October and had some nice heads over the winter. It produced several small sucker heads too but it finally gave out. The previous year I transplanted in January, total failure. When I was in Arkansas I'd transplant broccoli late February- early March. Sometimes I'd get nice heads and suckers, sometimes it was a total failure.

The way broccoli goes to seed is that it forms the florets that we eat. If you leave them on the plant yo see yellow flowers from the, you waited too long. If they have not started that you may be OK. If you've seen any yellow flowers, I'd pull them.

Where are you located? What kind of season do you have? Could you post a photo of the plants so we have an idea of what you are working with.

Down here on the gulf coast I transplanted broccoli early October and had some nice heads over the winter. It produced several small sucker heads too but it finally gave out. The previous year I transplanted in January, total failure. When I was in Arkansas I'd transplant broccoli late February- early March. Sometimes I'd get nice heads and suckers, sometimes it was a total failure.

The way broccoli goes to seed is that it forms the florets that we eat. If you leave them on the plant yo see yellow flowers from the, you waited too long. If they have not started that you may be OK. If you've seen any yellow flowers, I'd pull them.
Coastal Louisiana, zone 9A. This year it didn't even get cold enough to kill my nasturtiums or the squash growing in my compost lol. Put my transplants in end of October or very beginning of November.
They grew big and healthy looking but never formed any kind of head. I just gave up and pulled them out the other day. I'll look for pictures but I don't think I have any super recent ones.
May I ask what variety you grew this year and had success with?

Yeah I just looked for pictures and couldnt find anything recent. Maybe I did pull them too soon, or did something else wrong lol. It was my first time trying. I basically just ended up with broccoli bushes.

Coastal Louisiana, zone 9A. This year it didn't even get cold enough to kill my nasturtiums or the squash growing in my compost lol. Put my transplants in end of October or very beginning of November.
They grew big and healthy looking but never formed any kind of head. I just gave up and pulled them out the other day. I'll look for pictures but I don't think I have any super recent ones.
Lots of sand down there. My brother lives down that way. He hasn't had much success with broccoli either. I'd recommend you try Belstar broccoli. I live in zone 6 and I've had great success with Calabrese. My first year though I did Destiny and that did not go well. But Belstar is a hybrid plant so you may not like that. Purple broccoli might also be a good option for you.

Lots of sand down there. My brother lives down that way. He hasn't had much success with broccoli either. I'd recommend you try Belstar broccoli. I live in zone 6 and I've had great success with Calabrese. My first year though I did Destiny and that did not go well. But Belstar is a hybrid plant so you may not like that. Purple broccoli might also be a good option for you.
Yes! It can be. Thankfully I'm a little bit more inland. My soil isn't overly sandy or overly clay. I'm lucky. The previous owner of my house had the whole back yard as a fruit orchard. Then a realtor bought it and tore them all out except for the figs.

I'm gonna keep trying but I had read the heat here would be problematic. Like I said, I had just got seeds in a grab bag and decided it couldn't hurt to try! I've got nothing against hybrids and will definitely try some of your recommendations.

Heres a link to different kinds of broccoli for you to try:
https://gardenerspath.com/plants/vegetables/best-broccoli-varieties/
You could always grow it inside if you have big enough pots. If you want to try Calabrese itd be september to february for your area.
Thanks! I never thought about growing indoors but it's a possibility. I think I should plant them sooner in the year like you mention. Along with maybe putting them in a shadier area. It's not uncommon for us to get 80 degree days in the dead of winter lol.

I wish I knew. I got some transplants from Lowe's that just said Broccoli. It was the only transplants I could find early October. I'm a little south of New Orleans. I started them as soon as the heat broke, first week of October. They are in raised beds, mostly sand.

Back
Top Bottom