Brody hen question

You might read my response in this thread. It might help you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/first-time-broody.1535071/

As I said in that thread I don't see anything wrong with removing her from the nest once a day to give her the opportunity to eat, drink, and poop. You probably don't have to but it won't hurt anything. If it makes you feel better I consider that a good thing. One less worry.

So I moved my broody hen into my garage on Thursday, June 23rd and she has not got off the nest and it is Sunday now. She has eaten and drank a little when I put it by the nest but will not get up off the nest. There are also no poops in the Broody Box. Should I pull her off the nest once a day or should I just leave her to her own devices? Should I be worried? She has plenty of food and water within her reach. Biggest question is if I should take her of the nest for a little bit each day.
Hey! My broody hatched her first chick! I'm so excited, now I can't sleep. 😃

I biff mine off their nests once a day usually in the morning, when I feed everyone. Mine DO get off on their own, but I remove them because that way I know they're getting food before it's gone, and i can assess their general health and check there are no egg breakages. I do not remove them for the final 3-4 days as they will usually not get off when the eggs are close to hatching. When I don't see them up off their nests near the end of a brooding period I know the chicks are about to arrive.

I biff mine off their nests once a day usually in the morning, when I feed everyone. Mine DO get off on their own, but I remove them because that way I know they're getting food before it's gone, and i can assess their general health and check there are no egg breakages. I do not remove them for the final 3-4 days as they will usually not get off when the eggs are close to hatching. When I don't see them up off their nests near the end of a brooding period I know the chicks are about to arrive.
I took her off the nest for a half an hour yesterday and she ate, drank, dust bathed and pooped. First time I had to do all those things and about a little less than a week so I think I’m gonna bring her out again for about a half an hour. The eggs are due July 14. 😁😁

You might read my response in this thread. It might help you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/first-time-broody.1535071/

As I said in that thread I don't see anything wrong with removing her from the nest once a day to give her the opportunity to eat, drink, and poop. You probably don't have to but it won't hurt anything. If it makes you feel better I consider that a good thing. One less worry.
I just feel bad that she’s sitting in a box all day so when she gets out she can interact with the flock and do all her duties. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom