Broiler chicks VS layer hens.....

jenni22776rn

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Central Maine
81782_079.jpg

I am trying to determine if 7 of the baby chicks that I rescued are broiler chicks...I know 10 of them are Rhode Island reds..but the other 7 are larger and seem to be getting thier feathers sooner..I am not sure if they are just older or if they are broiler...if so..are they able to be kept as pets? if so any advice? If not does anyone know what type they may be? I tried to post some pictures but if I am not able..I did post them on the backyard chicken facebook page...I will be grateful for any help anyone can give me!! Thanks
lol.png

81782_037.jpg

This is one of the larger chicks next to the smaller younger chicks...everyone I have tried to ask seem to think that they may be roosters...either way...knowing will make it easier to decide what is next for the little guys...I am hopeful that I can raise the broilers..as I am a vegatarian so eating them is not really an option...I hope to raise them but am unsure if I can....PLEASE HELP!!

All I know is Cornish cross are white, those are yellow/gold/buff. My first thought is they're older, there is lots of growth in the first few weeks.

Quote:
They do look larger and they look like they have really thick legs, some hatcheries offer red broilers, which I believe are slower growing broilers not like cornish rocks but they will still grow way faster than any other breed of chicken, and some also offer whats called "freedom Rangers" which are also slow growing broilers that are able to free range. Where? did you get them from?

I only wish I knew where these little guys started from...I was called approx 3 weeks ago by our local humane society for 17 baby chicks that needed a home. They were found on the side of the road in a cardboard box. One was lost due to the exposure. 10 smaller ones had purple marked on the heads and looked to be less then 1 week old..just starting with the fuzz. The 7 larger ones were marked with green and looked to mabye be almost 2 weeks old..with just the start of feathers. I have 3 adult ladies and would like to keep these and introduce them to our ladies..but I have read that broilers red/white do not live long and have alot of problems with their legs and heart due to their weight. I have no intrest in eating them and would only like to keep them as part of the flock. I was told they may be pale Buff Orpingtons....with the large legs and wide chest. the one in pix 1 looks to me as a possibe cockeral...but again not sure! Free rangers are able to survive longer then broilers I ave read..does anyone know this to be true? Any informaiton would be helpful...
81782_042.jpg
big_smile.png

Quote:
Sounds like to me they where the extra roos sent and the person didn't want them....How hard is it to take them to animal controle or other animal shelter/services????With broilers people keep both the males and females since they grow em untill about 6 weeks and then they all get processed.
Look at the leg color those are buff orpingtons legs,Cornish cross have yellow legs....

Last edited:
Purple Marks on there heads means they are Roos all the feed stores i have been two have had the roos marked with purple dots. And they look to be red broilers sorry i am new to the chicken world so i am not sure.

Back
Top Bottom