Broiler space requirements?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by johndeerematt, Mar 31, 2014.

1. johndeerematt

johndeerematt In the Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    I'm in the process of building chicken tractors for my pastured broilers. What I can't seem to decide is how much space broilers need per bird. I'm going to raise about 60 birds and am planning on making at least 2 tractors. Info Please and thank you (in advance)!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    Anybody???

3. Coralietg

Coralietg Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Opelousas, LA
    I've found it hard to find set information online about how much space they need. There is a lot of information on layers, not so much on broilers.

We are making a tractor for 25 broilers, and it is 6'x14'. That gives just over 3 sq/ft per broiler. They have about 1 sq/ft per bird in their sleeping area, and 2 sq/ft per bird in the run area.

Salatin style chicken tractors are 10'x12', and I want to say they house 50 birds. He supposedly provides "1.3 to 2.4 sq/ft per broiler". They definitely don't need as much space as layers, but enough space that they aren't crammed in and crowded.

4. johndeerematt

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    Great! Just the info I was looking for!

5. katbriar

katbriar Songster

Dec 15, 2012
    Northern New Mexico
    Consider giving them as much space as you would a laying breed. They forage, they roost, and they are cleaner happier birds that move away from the feeder and don't sit in their own poop if you don't stuff them in a tractor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: