Broilers: Not growing at the same rate. What am I doing wrong?

mrsteiner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 28, 2011
Davison, MI
We've been raising broilers for 3 years now, and as we've increased the size of our flock, I have a new problem I'm not sure how to address. We use Salatin style tractors and organic feed. We do not overcrowd the cages, but our Cornish X birds are growing at very different rates.

At six weeks, we have some birds (roosters I presume) that are close to 4 lbs. and some very small birds at only a pound or two. Since I've had this problem with birds from 2 different hatcheries I'm assuming it's something we're causing.

Any ideas? We use round hanging feeders in their pens.

I agree with Sarahswank , it does sound like the small ones are getting pushed away from the feeder. I would try another feeder and see if there's an improvement in a few days. I don't think there should be that much weight difference between individuals at that age.

Yep, I'd say more feeders are needed. I have had this happen to me with batches that are all cockerals. I noticed it more so in batches of 100 or more housed together.

The last time this happened to me, I pulled the smaller ones and put them together in a different pen and fed them wide open. They ended up catching up with the others.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom