Broken Beak scabbed over advise please details inside

Cry86

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
Hi everyone I have a gamefowl shes a gin toppy mix. Meet Cinnamon

Her sister and her had a fight over the roost about a week ago left her with a bleeding cracked beak. I treated it got her I thought healed up only yesterday she is very scabbed up and looks like the beak broken off and it's very shabby I've been cleaning it with wound spray using cotton balls and used iodine once as it was only thing I had on hand before I got wound spray.

Anyone else go through this? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
She's been eating and drinking having minor trouble eating making her some mash to help with what she's not eating.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-125729_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211230-125729_Messages.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 24
Picture is not clear enough to see really well. It will be painful for several days, and then as it hardens up it will get less painful. Because it can be very painful I would leave it alone unless absolutely necessary. If the quick was not damaged too much it will grow back, but beaks grow slowly, so it may take a while. If the quick was too damaged (time will tell) then she can adapt with some help. Use open, deeper dishes for food and water, and raise them up on blocks or something to help her scoop with her bottom beak. Making a mash with her feed and some water can also make it easier for her to eat, and will also help with hydration. I would weigh her regularly to make sure she's taking in enough, if not, you may have to hand feed for awhile til she gets it figured out. Anything on the ground is going to be impossible for her to pick up.

Picture is not clear enough to see really well. It will be painful for several days, and then as it hardens up it will get less painful. Because it can be very painful I would leave it alone unless absolutely necessary. If the quick was not damaged too much it will grow back, but beaks grow slowly, so it may take a while. If the quick was too damaged (time will tell) then she can adapt with some help. Use open, deeper dishes for food and water, and raise them up on blocks or something to help her scoop with her bottom beak. Making a mash with her feed and some water can also make it easier for her to eat, and will also help with hydration. I would weigh her regularly to make sure she's taking in enough, if not, you may have to hand feed for awhile til she gets it figured out. Anything on the ground is going to be impossible for her to pick up.
Thank you yes its a long road of recovery I will weigh her regularly and im making her mash.

Back
Top Bottom