Broken Beak! Warning Picture Inc

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tracy the chick, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi my buff orpington 'Pat' Has a broken Beak. My husband went to let her out yesterday and when he lifted the flap on the coop it fell back down on her head. There is a crack at the very top but it looks more like its the top layer thats coming off. not sure if it will grow back if it drops off ?? its very black & bruised. she is eating wet chick crumb at the moment and drinking well. Ive given her baby asprin too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Ps my husband feels really bad [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I've read on here where some people have used tea bags and super glue to stabilize cracked beaks. From what I read, they trimmed the tea bag to fit, and super glued it on there, kind of like steri-strips that are used after surgery. You might search the forum for cracked beaks and super glue to see what you find.

3. Karhog

Karhog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Poor chook and poor husband!! - bet he does feel bad but accidents happen.
    Don't know what to advise- I would def put antiseptic on and around it- I think you did the right thing with a baby asprin- the fact she is eating and drinking is good.
    The tea bag and superglue mentioned by Leslieb118 may also be the way to go- Good Luck!

4. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thanks guys out come my yorkshire tea bags:D. Ive sprayed irodine on it i hope thats ok? I went to put some steri-strips on it but it lifted the crack up so i took them off, plus it was agravating her. Shes still eating and drinking. She looks like shes been in the ring with mike tyson!..... She is such a good chicken..:).

5. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    The link below might be helpful to you. It's a long one! It's about the rooster that got hit by the car. I've been following "Lucky's" progress for a few months and OrphanNanny did an excellent job nursing this guy back to health. He had a broken beak and she repaired it. You might check it out and see exactly how she did it. I know he's turned out well..not to be a spoiler or anything if you want to read the entire thread! Good luck! I hope your hubby doesn't feel too bad. Accidents happen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/592958/car-vs-rooster-can-he-be-saved

6. Tracy the chick

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Thank you for that thread i did read most of it, i will read the rest tonight. It would make a good book.[​IMG] She is loads better now..

7. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    I had a girl with a broken beak last year. Here is the link to the thread with pictures. We used superglue and it worked quite well; just straight on the beak. Be careful not to get it in the nostrils. She is doing quite well now. Her's broke at a 45 degree angle and still isn't completely straight. I doubt it will be. We just keep trimming off the excess and it does seem straighter. Anyway, good luck to you!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=552433

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by