Broken beak

blissmrs

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2020
Oahu, Hawaii
Hi all. My hen has a broken beak from fleeing a predator and running into a piece of wood. I have read many of the broken beak posts and am still trying to figure out the best course of action. I have cleaned the beak and have her separated from the rest of the flock. She isn’t eating or drinking yet as I’m sure she’s still traumatized from the attack (I know I am!). Here are some pictures…any advice is welcome. Thank you.

B60C80FB-7805-48FE-B105-0E7FB92A3EFB.jpeg
84741295-627E-4420-9F17-E3C3CE4544CC.jpeg
E8281566-C2B3-43AF-843C-741A27F640D8.jpeg

She is going to be in pain for a few days, due to exposed nerve endings, but she could survive this. Feeding mushy chicken feed with a lot of water, changed often, and a bit of scrambled eggs in a deeper bowl might help. There is an old thread about a hen losing her entire beak a few years ago, who learned to eat on her own. Here it is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off.848424/

A lot depends on how much time you have to devote to helping her.

She is going to be in pain for a few days, due to exposed nerve endings, but she could survive this. Feeding mushy chicken feed with a lot of water, changed often, and a bit of scrambled eggs in a deeper bowl might help. There is an old thread about a hen losing her entire beak a few years ago, who learned to eat on her own. Here it is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off.848424/

A lot depends on how much time you have to devote to helping her.
Thank you for your time and your help.

I had a rooster damage his beak last summer. I initially tried feeding him his regular feed with water added to make a mash, but he would not eat it. The only thing I could get him to eat was cracked corn. It was easier for him to grasp the small pieces with his damaged beak. It was not healthiest diet for him, but it allowed him to eat as his beak healed.

You might want to give the cracked corn a try if you can't get her to eat the softer foods.

Back
Top Bottom