Broken bill

Tabitha31

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
So found my duck this morning has a broken top bill. Will he be okay like this? I'm not sure how it happened. Worried about his health.

Attachments

• 20201026_130020.jpg
    20201026_130020.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 23
I would flush some of the debris off the bill with some saline, then apply a nice coating of an antibacterial ointment overtop. You'll want him in an area where he can't get the bill dirty for a few days/week, and ensure his water is clean. It would be good to make sure he is getting enough feed inside him, as birds with broken bills can sometimes have a hard time getting food into their mouth, so I would weigh him for the next week to ensure he is.

For easier eating, moisten the feed with water to make it soupy, and ensure both feed and water dishes are wide and deep. I have seen birds with much more severe bill/beak injuries turn out fine.

Thank you for your insight. I was really concerned about him. I will get his a bowl and moisten his food to help him. Is this kind if injury painful to him? I dont want him to be hurting. And can you give a duck pain meds of any kind if it is?

Thank you for your insight. I was really concerned about him. I will get his a bowl and moisten his food to help him. Is this kind if injury painful to him? I dont want him to be hurting. And can you give a duck pain meds of any kind if it is?

It is painful. Unless you see a vet, I wouldn't give him any pain medications, because the ones you're able to get without an RX, such as aspirin, or Ibuprofen, can thin the blood which may cause involuntary bleeding of the wound.

I've called several local vets and none near me so far deal with birds. Thanks for the help. I will get him some moist food and hopefully he will heal up and be okay.

I saw a video recently of 2 Canada geese at a rehab that had no top bills and they were eating to beat the band. It was amazing. So your ducks has a great chance of healing and adjusting. Just keep it clean till healed. Please keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom