Broken Blood Feather...Do I need to pull it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Athenzchick, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Silkie, 2 months, weight unknown

2) What is the behavior, exactly. He is limping with his right foot splayed out to the side (90 degrees to his body). There was some bleeding at the breaks (there were 2 broken feathers) it stopped very quickly

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2 hours

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. See #2

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. We were moving the chicks out of the brooder to the coop and they got all riled up. It wasn't until I set him down in the coop that I noticed his injury. I'm not exactly sure when it happened.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chick starter crumbles and water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? He is isolated in the brooder. I washed the foot and irrigated with hydrogen peroxide. I applied blu-kote to the foot (and my hand). The bleeding has stopped but he still limping.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to take care of this myself, it does not seem too serious.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No pictures, the foot is covered in blu-kote, you can't see the injury.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use At present he is in a cardboard brooder in my garage on 4-6" of wood chips.

My plan as of right now is to leave well enough alone and see how he's doing tomorrow. Seeing as there wasn't a whole lot of blood I'm not even 100% sure it was a blood feather. What else could it be? I didn't see any other sign of injury, just the 2 broken feathers on his foot. So my question is, if he is back to normal tomorrow do I need to pull the feathers? And when can I put him in the coop with the rest of the flock, he seems quite lonely out there.

Thanks so much!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    If it is a blood feather and it keeps bleeding, pull it. If not, I would leave it be. You might put him in a cage overnight just to be safe then if he's ok in the morning, let him out.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is never a good idea to pull a blood feather unless it just won't stop bleeding. If it is really bleeding badly, you can take some cornstarch and dab some on the end of the broken area. It usually will stop the bleeding. If it has already stopped bleeding, then it will seal up on it's own. [​IMG]

4. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    Thank you both so much!

5. baby chick1

baby chick1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Michigan
    I just came home to my rooster who is a salmon Faverolle and some of his feathers are broke off his feet. There was blood on my EE's beak,that's how I noticed something happened. I cleaned him with Nolvasan and sprayed his feet with vetericyn.what else can I do?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by