Broken chicken foot??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirllvo, Jul 11, 2016.

1. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    Three days ago i realized my poor dear was dragging her foot under her when she walked and she wasnt using it. I splinted it in two toes and we left for the weekend. When I came back today she was no better so i put her in a big pen with two other hurt birds (both have leg problems as well) with a bed far away from grass, food, and water. Any advice? What am I doing right and wrong?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? What symptoms are the other chickens with leg issues having? I would try poultry vitamins in the water that include riboflavin, just in case of a vitamin deficiency. What type of feed are they getting? Have you ever had any unexplained deaths in your flock?

3. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    She is 3 months old, no she hasn't been treated for anything
    The other chicken is limping and the other one is a meat bird that was born with a messed up foot.
    She is getting non gmo egg maker for Widdis feed mill
    I had one random death about three weeks ago but she was an older hen.
    Where would I get those vitimans you mentioned?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most feed stores sell poultry vitamins, such as Durvet, Rooster Booster, and SaveAChick, and you can also use PolyVisol without iron baby vitamins 2 drops daily given orally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by