Broken chicken leg????

funnyfarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
Indiana
sad.png
Help one of my hens was injured today. Her leg is broken.. Not into 2 pieces but is definitely useless. Any advice out there??? I don't want to have to kill her she can still hobble on the otheer leg and is now in a separate pen by herself with easy access to water and food. Please help...
idunno.gif

Quote:
i don't think you'll have to kill her, many peolple on here have had luck get their birds on the mend.through splints or some other means.a picture of the injury will go a long way in helping.

I can't send a picture... It is broken at th hip, not the leg. Learned this after further investigating last night. It can get around though it hobbles on one leg. Any suggestions????

I took my 3-4 week old chick to the vet on Monday. Remember this is the chick that was stepped on by my horse. Compound fracture to the right hock, yes part of the bottom of thigh bone stuck thru the skin at the hock. I initally wrapped it to stabilize it. After about a week or so it seemed to get better, then after a few days I removed the wrap. Progressively got worse after that as the break didn't hold and it was really lame then and not putting any pressure on the broken leg. The vet wrapped it again with dressing to pad then over the gauze he wrapped it in vet wrap from hip to foot. He said the tendon was gone that controlled the lower leg & foot. BUT he said it possibly could reginerate perhaps, especially in such a young chick. Perhaps is the key word I think. So it has been wrapped for going on 5 days now. The chick is hobbling around, and resting a good bit as movement is very odd/difficult with that "cast". The bandage does restrict movement of the limb as it's almost straight in the wrap. But the appitite for food and water is excellent as is it's poop. I even bought a couple other chicks to help with socialization & companionship for this injured chick as it seemed lonesome and I couldn't be there 24/7. The spirit to live is very strong in this little chick. If it was lethergic and didn't have a will to live and seemed to be suffering, then I would have put it down. But as long as it is willing to try, I will too.

I think this is what is wrong with my year old hen. She's eating, drinking, active but she falls all the time. I have no idea what to do.

Did your Vet wrap her leg as it would be if she were standing or laying? Any meds for swelling? My hen has been hurt for nearly 24 hours now so I'm desperate for help.
sad.png

The vet wrapped it's leg from hip to top of foot. First with a gauze wrap to pad as he said the vet wrap would cut into his flesh, then vet wrap over it to stabilize the leg. It was STRAIGHT. Made for real difficult walking but after awhile he did hop. He had a seizure two weeks after this and died in my arms, but when he was alive his movement got better and he was able to go anywhere he wanted.
Jan

Last edited:
I'm so sorry he died.
sad.png

Thank you for sharing how your Vet wrapped his leg. She trembles when we tend her so I get a bit worried she'll do this also. If we are just holding her, she's calm & relaxed.

A break at this part is difficult... if it were my bird , I would fix up a type of sling for her to "hang" in to restrict movement for at least two or three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom