Broken Comb? Help?

mobius

Songster
Feb 29, 2016
Roosting. In A Tree. In Deepest NW Montana.
Mm, well, as things go this is relatively minor, I know. But I spied an oddity on my Wyandotte's rose comb. The back spike was sticking up and then I saw another chicken pecking it once. I brought her inside, wiped with saline solution. There was a bit of blood on the cotton ball. I put triple antibiotic on it, and then some home-made blukote (not much, it is honey and blue food coloring). I could slather the comb with it of course. She is inside with me right now, walking around clucking and seems otherwise fine, normal poos, etc. The thing is, I can't figure out how to bandage it. It almost looks like it is going to come off...here are a few pics, please advise...

This looks like an injury that may have happened during mating. You may want to try separating her from any roosters, and any birds that may pack at it for a few days. Maybe try wrapping it in a small peice of gause.

Aww thanks! No roosters...I will look at gauze and vetwrap maybe? Around her neck, not sure...

I had her inside for a couple of hours, she was insistent on going outside, but I will pick her up this evening and put her in a crate inside...

Last edited:
Another thing you may consider is to remove the spike. I have never docked the combs of my chickens, but some chickens have them docked to show them. A frostbitten comb is basically docked. There are some theads that you can read on how to perform this, but I think it is basically using a sharp pair of scissors to remove the point. And apply pressure and then blood stop powder or flour to help the blood to clot. This is just a suggestion which you can consider or not. Many here on BYC could give you better instructions I am sure.

Last edited:
As to the injury, true on both points, I have no idea at all how it happened, except perhaps for pecking. Clueless, but yes I dont want it happening again. At all. First flock injury problem. They are out and about all day foraging. Not due to confinement I don't think....

This chicken is such a sweetie, endured the medical probing and all very well...I will clean it again tonight...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom