Broken/cracked Beak UPDATE

you should still try the super glue to keep it from cracking more or getting infected. Put a tounge depressure in her beak to keep her mouth open and just use alittle .

Well..........here is a beak update ............

My other half decided we would take her to the vet so I did. Hard to find a vet that would look at her only a couple around that do
"exotics" chickens are not exotic, but you couldnt tell them that. Anyway my old stand by horse vet has a small animal clinic too. She said bring her down and we will look. She re alligned it almost perfect and glued it. I felt better. We were gonna try it and neither one of us could bring ourselves to put it back in place and then we were afraid of the super glue for evident reasons. So for a 25.00 fee it was worth it to have the vet do it. She wants us to feed her soft food for a month I guess that means laying mush and oatmeal and yogurt. She wanted us to keep her caged for a month so she cant injure it again. She is caged most of the time. She didnt do this free ranging. She did this jumping off a perch in the cage that is the only way she could have. I think she might have jumped down and when she did crashed into something on the way down like the post on the cage or the coop side. She had not even been out free rangeing the day this happened. One perch is about 4 foot of the ground and the one in the coop the roost is only 18-24" that should not be a problem for any adult chicken. Actually she must have done it outside.. She will be in the house for a couple days though.

Anyone have a chicken injur themselves getting off a perch? Any suggestions for keeping her safe till she heals short of locking her up?

Back
Top Bottom