Broken Egg Bound Chicken

Jennbean23

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 5, 2015
Pennsylvania
My almost 1 year old Easter Egger started acting really strange week before last. Off balance, moving slowly, not interested in food, etc. I watched her over the weekend and with little improvement got her into the vets.
The vet took X-rays and said that she was egg bound and that the egg had broken and she had a massive infection.
She was put on antibiotics immediately and the next day the vet did a procedure to see if she chose flush the egg out. Unfortunately it didn’t work and the next step is surgery if she can’t pass it.
Now she’s been on the antibiotics for 4 days now and I have seen 100% improvement.
She’s active and alert, excited about food, having no balance issues and seems to be doing just fine. I check on her several times a day and overnight too.
What I want to know is if she could have passed the egg on her own to be doing so much better?
She’s pooping fine but I noticed her poop was mixed with a bright, sometimes mustard yellow substance that I thought might possibly be the yolk?
I haven’t seen any other evidence that she’s passed anything else.
Could she still be egg bound?
I’m a first time chicken owner and this is my first experience with egg binding and I’m slightly rattled.
Eleanor is one of the sweetest girls ever and I raised her from a chick so I have been stressing out a lot since this started.
Thank you in advance for any information. I truly appreciate it.

Attachments

• 2D6EFBC6-D457-4B5D-8ED8-74099D368BF9.jpeg
    2D6EFBC6-D457-4B5D-8ED8-74099D368BF9.jpeg
    985.1 KB · Views: 23
What a sweet bird! I have only had chickens for a few years so I will leave advice to someone more experienced. I don’t want to discourage you, but the two situations I’ve had that sound remotely similar ended poorly. In my brief experience it can be difficult to get answers to the questions you are asking (I’ve asked them, too). Wishing you and your sweet bird the best! You are doing a lot to care for her. Sorry, not helpful. Just know you are far from alone.

That doesn't look like an Easter Egger. Is she laying blue/green eggs?

She's a lucky little lass that you were on the ball and noticed her distress and got her immediate treatment. It saved her life and pssible her egg laying career.

When an egg collapses inside, it does set up an almost immediate infection from the yolk. But it also makes it difficult to notice when all the material has cleared since it mixes with the poop. The best way to tell when all the egg remains has cleared is by her behavior. It will go from distress to normal in a blink.

This little hen may or may not have an inclination for this sort of trouble. If she gets into this predicament again, have this standing by.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

One tablet directly into her beak at the first sign she's struggling to lay an egg, and it will encourage strong contractions to push the egg out.

She's a lucky little lass that you were on the ball and noticed her distress and got her immediate treatment. It saved her life and pssible her egg laying career.

When an egg collapses inside, it does set up an almost immediate infection from the yolk. But it also makes it difficult to notice when all the material has cleared since it mixes with the poop. The best way to tell when all the egg remains has cleared is by her behavior. It will go from distress to normal in a blink.

This little hen may or may not have an inclination for this sort of trouble. If she gets into this predicament again, have this standing by. View attachment 3007240
One tablet directly into her beak at the first sign she's struggling to lay an egg, and it will encourage strong contractions to push the egg out.
When I bought her I was told she was an Easter Egger but I’ve never owned chickens before so I only went with what I was told. Her eggs are either the blue green or gold. I have 6 chickens and I get a pink color a bluish green color or a kind of gold color.
I haven’t got any gold color in awhile come to think of it so maybe she’s the one laying that color?
Honestly I don’t care if she never lays an egg again as long as she’s ok.
I was just hoping that all that yellowish stuff mixed with her poo was what’s left of the egg coming out.
Her health and safety are my first concern.
Thank you so much for your help. It’s nice when more experienced chicken owners can give you helpful advice. I really appreciate it. 😊

What a sweet bird! I have only had chickens for a few years so I will leave advice to someone more experienced. I don’t want to discourage you, but the two situations I’ve had that sound remotely similar ended poorly. In my brief experience it can be difficult to get answers to the questions you are asking (I’ve asked them, too). Wishing you and your sweet bird the best! You are doing a lot to care for her. Sorry, not helpful. Just know you are far from alone.
Thank you! I appreciate any advice or encouragement. 😊

This little hen may or may not have an inclination for this sort of trouble. If she gets into this predicament again, have this standing by. View attachment 3007240
Oh also I should say that that picture of Nor is from last summer. She’s all grow up now. I’ll try and post a more recent photo. 😊

Back
Top Bottom