Broken Egg but chick is still alive

MorningGlory16

Songster
Aug 21, 2020
I have a silkie whose been sitting on 6 eggs for 22 days now.. They hadn't cheeped or pipped as far as I could see (I have her in my attached garage and check on her multiple times a day) I thought they had died for some reason since we're on day 22 with nothing happening, so I went to candle them tonight... I thought one was bad because it had a weird air cell and it looked like a blood ring, so I removed it... I've read about "eggtopsies" on here and since it's my first time hatching, I wanted to know what went wrong... So I chipped away at the shell, and broke through the membrane a little, and I saw blood and the chick is moving!! She cheeped a few times too, and she's still moving. I'm holding the egg in my hand and I don't know what to do. She's very much alive, but the shell is very cracked and I'm afraid if I put her back under my hen, that she'll break the egg... Is there anything I can do to save this baby?? I feel awful, I don't have an incubator! It's day 22, but I saw a little blood so I don't think she's ready to come out quite yet and she isn't trying to break the shell.

How is the chick doing?

I would agree there are risks keeping her under the hen at this stage since she's already crushed, and hens are known for accidentally stepping on their eggs, not to mention the bacterial load in her nest. If you have a feed store near you, they should have incubators on hand that you can get. If not, I would set up a heat lamp in a draft-free area inside the house, and get the temperature below around 99F - a humidifier placed near the area to achieve a higher humidity would also be good. For the chick, I would moisten the crushed shell, and membrane with coconut oil, or mineral oil, and do that as often to keep the membrane moist.

This happened at midnight last night (I waited until the end of day 22 and then thought none would hatch) My husband put a little tape over the cracked part, should we not have done that? We searched online and did what you guys ended up suggesting- a box with a heat lamp, bowl of water and a thermometer to measure temp/humidity... I stayed up until 4am to monitor. She's still very much moving and chirping today, responded to my voice when I checked on her. But hasn't broken through the shell yet. We're coming up on 12 hours since it happened.

I feel like if I remove the tape, the shell will break apart the rest of the way. I made the chip/crack where the air cell is, but her moving around has since caused a hairline almost completely around. Not zipping like I've seen pictures of though, so I don't think aggres trying to get out.. but when she does, it should be really easy. The membrane doesnt look dried out to me and there's no smell... I will try to upload a picture.

Remove the tape even with it this cracked? It's only on the very damaged part, not all the way around.

Attachments

• 20210126_090517.jpg
    20210126_090517.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 8
She was actually moving when I took the picture so you can see the hairline crack looks bigger, it kinda flexes when she moves.

Back
Top Bottom