Broken Egg but chick is still alive

From your description and the picture, I would take the tape carefully off. A chicken should hatch in 21 days. It may be trying to hatch. That said, I’m not in the room looking at what you are, so you don’t want to pull the tape if you’re seeing blood, discharge or anything else really off.

From your description and the picture, I would take the tape carefully off. A chicken should hatch in 21 days. It may be trying to hatch. That said, I’m not in the room looking at what you are, so you don’t want to pull the tape if you’re seeing blood, discharge or anything else really off.
I did take the tape off most of the way, I left a little attached because it seemed like it would cause it to break the rest of the way. She seems to be trying to get out now, but isn't making much progress.. I don't want to interfer unless it's absolutely necessary though.

Will be interesting to see how they turn out!
So she appears to be trying to come out now, but I can see the inner membrane and there are still some blood vessels in it... will she break those and bleed to death? She's moving a lot and breathing fast like she's trying really hard... but even with that hairline crack going all the way around the egg, it's not breaking... She's only been doing this for about 30 minutes though.

So she appears to be trying to come out now, but I can see the inner membrane and there are still some blood vessels in it... will she break those and bleed to death? She's moving a lot and breathing fast like she's trying really hard... but even with that hairline crack going all the way around the egg, it's not breaking... She's only been doing this for about 30 minutes though.

When she is ready to zip she will do so, if the yolk sac is unabsorbed still, and there are active veins she will stay put.

If the chick is getting air, there is no real reason to assist her out. From her yolk sac, she can survive for a couple of days in the shell. Assisting her out, you risk rupturing a yolk sac if it's not all absorbed.
Yes, I'm just going to keep watching her. The temp and humidity are staying great and she's breathing well- she appears to be resting again for a little while now. She's not chirping at all but I'm assuming she's saving her energy?

I would help her out of the shell. If the yoke is absorbed, she will likely be fine. I had four similar hatches in my last brood and all survived.
I really don't want to risk rupturing her yolk sac or blood vessels though... I know she still has everything she needs in her egg and she's breathing... She's only going through because of my inexperience and I feel terrible. If I had left her under mama she'd probably be doing just fine with her siblings by now☹ I'm going to give her awhile longer but if she seems distressed I might try to help.

It is your call for sure and I really would not try to convince anyone that they should assist in a hatch, but I have had more die in the shell then I have from an assist, even if the yolk is not fully absorbed.
I wish you & the chick the best of luck & I hope she get's it figured out.
One last thing to consider, chicks are driven to hatch (spasms really) by increased CO2 in the shell. With the shell open, this may be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom