Broken Egg but chick is still alive

It is your call for sure and I really would not try to convince anyone that they should assist in a hatch, but I have had more die in the shell then I have from an assist, even if the yolk is not fully absorbed.
I wish you & the chick the best of luck & I hope she get's it figured out.
One last thing to consider, chicks are driven to hatch (spasms really) by increased CO2 in the shell. With the shell open, this may be an issue.
Spasming is a pretty good way to describe what she was doing😅 She tried for awhile and it looked like she was really close, but I think she's sleeping now by how she's breathing. It wouldn't take much to help her out, but I'd really like to not see those blood vessels first before I even think about it... I haven't gotten a good look in a few hours now, but they looked pretty full the last time I saw them.. How long should I give her since she's exposed? I broke her shell last night a little before midnight (and then she chirped at me) so we're at about 17 hours.

An update on the chick: I ended up helping her out of her shell at about 7pm last night. She had spun so her beak was no longer exposed and seemed to be stuck, was still breathing but stopped trying to get out. I took the top of her shell off and left the bottom in case her yolk wasn't fully absorbed, she was very weak and only peeped once. I left her in my makeshift incubator overnight and this morning she was struggling to get out but her butt seemed to be stuck, so I helped with that too. She's alive, but seems very weak. She can't stand and just lays on her side.. Could that be from her legs being in her shell too long? I've given her drinks of water off of a spoon and she'll drink just fine, I'm hoping she just needs more time..

Attachments

• 20210127_094124.jpg
    20210127_094124.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 13
An update on the chick: I ended up helping her out of her shell at about 7pm last night. She had spun so her beak was no longer exposed and seemed to be stuck, was still breathing but stopped trying to get out. I took the top of her shell off and left the bottom in case her yolk wasn't fully absorbed, she was very weak and only peeped once. I left her in my makeshift incubator overnight and this morning she was struggling to get out but her butt seemed to be stuck, so I helped with that too. She's alive, but seems very weak. She can't stand and just lays on her side.. Could that be from her legs being in her shell too long? I've given her drinks of water off of a spoon and she'll drink just fine, I'm hoping she just needs more time..
I'd slip the chick under mom. Mom knows best! I had a shell get cracked about 36 hours before they were due to hatch. The hen had stepped on the egg! I covered it with some wax and put it back under the hen. I had to fully assist, but waited until the other chicks hatched. The chick lived and ended up being a pullet who started laying at 20 weeks, youngest to start laying that I've ever had.

Oh I just put a tiny drop on a baby spoon and dipped her beak, just enough to wet it. She seemed to enjoy it. You think I should just let her lay in the incubator for now though?
She's the only chick in the bator?
Does broody mama have other chicks hatched out?

She's the only chick in the bator?
Does broody mama have other chicks hatched out?
Yes, she's got at least 2 that I can see, there's a 3rd egg (or chick) under her. The chick I had in the house started acting stronger and chirping very loudly so I felt it was okay to put her under mama. She wiggled under her right away and mama tucked her in❤

Back
Top Bottom