Broken Egg, Dead Chick: Day 19 of Incubating :(

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
Hi, I just checked on my first time broody EE, and I found a broken egg in there with an almost fully developed dead chick. It's day 19, so pretty horrible and saddening. :( It had to have happened by this morning, since nothing was wrong when I checked then.

I've no idea how this happened, I haven't had any issues with this broody till now. Most of the other eggs are covered in yolk, and the broken egg smelled quite bad when I removed it. Was it Mushy Chick Disease or something? There were already maggots in the egg when I found it. Ack, it's so sad. :hit

Should I clean the yolk off the other eggs or just leave them? Please help!

Hello!

I’m so sorry. That is very sad 😕 :hugs

At day 19, the eggs will most likely be fine even with the dried yolk on the shells. Cleaning the eggs would remove the bloom, which is the protective layer that is deposited on the shell during the laying process that prevents bacteria from getting in. Wiping it off would likely cause even more germs and diseases to enter the eggs and cause more harm than benefit. I would probably just leave them and let the hen finish the incubation period undisturbed. Best of luck and I hope they all hatch! :)

Hello!

I’m so sorry. That is very sad 😕 :hugs

At day 19, the eggs will most likely be fine even with the dried yolk on the shells. Cleaning the eggs would remove the bloom, which is the protective layer that is deposited on the shell during the laying process that prevents bacteria from getting in. Wiping it off would likely cause even more germs and diseases to enter the eggs and cause more harm than benefit. I would probably just leave them and let the hen finish the incubation period undisturbed. Best of luck and I hope they all hatch! :)
Thanks for this. :hugs I was really worried for a second there. I'll let you know if they hatch fine!

Same exact thing just happened again. The egg was completely broken and bloody and the chick was dead. It seems like such a waste of life. :hit

I'm down to seven eggs now and I think two are pipping. I got a good look because Momma was off the nest. Hopefully all the rest hatch okay. :fl

It's day 20 today, I was wrong about my calculations before.

What the heck is causing these broken eggs???? I have no idea how this is happening. :barnie

(She's completely blocked off from the other hens, by the way, so no one else could be getting at the eggs.)

I actually recently had one of my silkies hatch some chicks. I gave her 10 eggs to start, but by the time that they were about to hatch she only had three left. A couple times I found the shells, but other times I just saw blood and yolk. It was very sad. I think she was the one that was breaking them, but I still don’t know why. I’m not sure if it was on purpose or on accident, if she was pecking them or stepping on them. I did put some candle wax on a few of them to seal up some cracks, so maybe she was curious to find out what it was and ended up cracking the eggs???

I actually recently had one of my silkies hatch some chicks. I gave her 10 eggs to start, but by the time that they were about to hatch she only had three left. A couple times I found the shells, but other times I just saw blood and yolk. It was very sad. I think she was the one that was breaking them, but I still don’t know why. I’m not sure if it was on purpose or on accident, if she was pecking them or stepping on them. I did put some candle wax on a few of them to seal up some cracks, so maybe she was curious to find out what it was and ended up cracking the eggs???
That's really too bad. :( I guess when you let broodies hatch you have to brace yourself for some casualties. Just really hoping the rest make it.

Did you ever let that silkie hatch more eggs? If so, did you have any more issues?

She’s had her chicks for about four weeks now, so I think she’s still technically considered ‘broody’. This is her second time hatching and raising chicks, and she’s actually co-mothering with my other silkie hen. The first time she raised chicks, she hid somewhere in my neighbor’s yard, and after three weeks she came back with two chicks, so I really can’t say that I know if all the eggs hatched or if all the chicks survived. She’s been an excellent mother though, I’ll tell you that!

She’s had her chicks for about four weeks now, so I think she’s still technically considered ‘broody’. This is her second time hatching and raising chicks, and she’s actually co-mothering with my other silkie hen. The first time she raised chicks, she hid somewhere in my neighbor’s yard, and after three weeks she came back with two chicks, so I really can’t say that I know if all the eggs hatched or if all the chicks survived. She’s been an excellent mother though, I’ll tell you that!
She sounds like an awesome mom! Glad it's going well for you. :D

No chicks have hatched yet, just hoping some might be out in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom