broken egg in nest box this morning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KiwiChook, Sep 21, 2007.

1. KiwiChook

KiwiChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    My 2 girls have been laying an egg a day each for the last 2 weeks after being rescued and brought back to good health and I'm very happy about that! [​IMG] but this morning I went out to collect and only found one egg. Half an hour later I noticed one girl go back into the nest she didn't pop out again for maybe 20 minutes. I race over to see what took so long and found a broken egg [​IMG]
    Does this just happen from time to time?
    Did she just stand on it as she hopped out?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Was the shell thin? Mayeb she just stepped on it getting out again. This happens from time to time...just make sure you clean out that nest box...or it will smell really bad in a few days! LOL

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Even though my chickens get oyster shell and free range I still get a soft shelled egg here and there. Especially when they first start laying. They also do not always lay an egg every single day, with winter coming daylight is shortening and egg laying slows down.

4. KiwiChook

KiwiChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    I cleaned the nest up real good.
    The left over shell looked OK apart from the big whole in it.
    She might just need a rest.
    Only one egg this morning and from the other hen too.
    We are coming into summer now down here in New Zealand so hope they both keep up the good work for a while yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by