BROKEN EGG INSIDE??

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
I have a hen that is acting completely normal as far as energy, appetite and enthusiasm. she is very consistent about laying an egg first thing in the morning. I found her on the bottom roosting bar this morning (not normal) and she did not lay. I can see her pushing a thick white liquid out and picking at her vent. I gave her 300mg of crushed calcium in blueberries. Is is possible she can resolve this problem herself? I am not even sure its an egg.....when would she start acting sick if it is? should I give her amoxicillin just to be safe? she is not one thats going to let me catch her (especially if she isnt acting sick?) any ideas? I know that there are a lot of posts on this and I have read several....I just really want to know can she fix this herself with me giving her antibiotic and calcium?

Attachments

• BCB95F31-4296-464C-9FF8-4135F5966B60.jpeg
    BCB95F31-4296-464C-9FF8-4135F5966B60.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 746DC28E-902D-40E5-88DF-5DDE4B81723D.jpeg
    746DC28E-902D-40E5-88DF-5DDE4B81723D.jpeg
    771.9 KB · Views: 5
This is what I am looking at. Thick white stuff. I don’t see anything else. But she keeps tail pumping. Not constantly but enough for me to see something is up.
How much liquid stuff is coming out of her vent? It looks like not much is coming out of her vent. She could have vent gleet.

How much liquid stuff is coming out of her vent? It looks like not much is coming out of her vent. She could have vent gleet.
its not much. In fact it was probably a teaspoon. Its very thick. What ever it is she is trying to force it out. Should I put some antifungal on her? Should I give her amoxicillin?

its not much. In fact it was probably a teaspoon. Its very thick. What ever it is she is trying to force it out. Should I put some antifungal on her? Should I give her amoxicillin?
hmmmmm. I just treated her for a very heavy roundworm load. I wonder if that caused vent gleet??

The chicken in my profile picture every once in awhile gets a vent gleet sort of thing and I put antifungal cream on it and It goes away. It's strange how it comes back after some time. Actually the last time she had the vent gleet thing she had a prolapse too, and I fixed that. Keep giving your hen the calcium, hopefully she get's better!

Read this article about vent gleet.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt.64647/

It wouldn't hurt to put some antifungal on her. Not sure about the amoxicillin.
hmmmmm. I just treated her for a very heavy roundworm load. I wonder if that caused vent gleet??
I wouldn't know, but maybe it did.

Looks like urates.
Doesn't look like vent gleet.

I would give her some Calcium, monitor her and see if she expels a whole egg, a membrane or ???
At this time, I wouldn't give any other medications, antibiotics, etc. just see what happens over the next few hours.
Keep us posted.

Looks like urates.
Doesn't look like vent gleet.

I would give her some Calcium, monitor her and see if she expels a whole egg, a membrane or ???
At this time, I wouldn't give any other medications, antibiotics, etc. just see what happens over the next few hours.
Keep us posted.
Thank you for your quick response. turns out it was a broken egg. I did not see this message until after I just gave her amoxicillin and tums. I found her on her nest at 5 am with egg yolk under her and i found the broken egg in the coop. The shell was very brittle. I wasn't sure how much antibiotic to give her and i only have 500mg tablets so i think she got about 50mg?? i hope that's ok? She is acting normal and active. Do you think I treated her in time? Her poop in normal with the exception of a little egg slime. She is eating like a bear and walking normal. no fluffed feathers and her butt is clean.

Thank you for your quick response. turns out it was a broken egg. I did not see this message until after I just gave her amoxicillin and tums. I found her on her nest at 5 am with egg yolk under her and i found the broken egg in the coop. The shell was very brittle. I wasn't sure how much antibiotic to give her and i only have 500mg tablets so i think she got about 50mg?? i hope that's ok? She is acting normal and active. Do you think I treated her in time? Her poop in normal with the exception of a little egg slime. She is eating like a bear and walking normal. no fluffed feathers and her butt is clean.
Can someone please let me know how much amoxicillin to give her? She is about 4 pounds. She is still acting normal and eating, drinking and playing.

Back
Top Bottom