BROKEN EGG INSIDE??

Looks like urates.
Doesn't look like vent gleet.

I would give her some Calcium, monitor her and see if she expels a whole egg, a membrane or ???
At this time, I wouldn't give any other medications, antibiotics, etc. just see what happens over the next few hours.
Keep us posted.
I just checked on her. She laid a normal egg that had calcium on it. Does this mean she will be ok? Still eating drinking and playing.

Thank you for your quick response. turns out it was a broken egg. I did not see this message until after I just gave her amoxicillin and tums. I found her on her nest at 5 am with egg yolk under her and i found the broken egg in the coop. The shell was very brittle. I wasn't sure how much antibiotic to give her and i only have 500mg tablets so i think she got about 50mg?? i hope that's ok? She is acting normal and active. Do you think I treated her in time? Her poop in normal with the exception of a little egg slime. She is eating like a bear and walking normal. no fluffed feathers and her butt is clean.

Can someone please let me know how much amoxicillin to give her? She is about 4 pounds. She is still acting normal and eating, drinking and playing.
So the egg was intact, but just broken in the nest?

If she's acting normal, doesn't have a discharge from the vent that looks like albumen (egg whites) or egg yolk, then I would discontinue the Amoxicillin.
You may want to go ahead and give her extra Calcium for a few days though.

For future reference, you ask the dose of Amoxicillin. Standard dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days.
So a 4lb hen would get 228 mg twice a day. If you have 500mg tabs, then I would just give her 1/2 tab (250mg) twice a day for ease of dosing.

So the egg was intact, but just broken in the nest?

If she's acting normal, doesn't have a discharge from the vent that looks like albumen (egg whites) or egg yolk, then I would discontinue the Amoxicillin.
You may want to go ahead and give her extra Calcium for a few days though.

For future reference, you ask the dose of Amoxicillin. Standard dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days.
So a 4lb hen would get 228 mg twice a day. If you have 500mg tabs, then I would just give her 1/2 tab (250mg) twice a day for ease of dosing.
I think it broke inside of her. It was one big crushed egg. The yolk was in the nesting box. She laid a normal egg hours later covered in calcium snd all poops are normal. I looked at her a few minutes ago and she isn’t fluffed. I do see the same white thick goop on her butt. Not much though. Do you think I should continue the antibiotic?

I think it broke inside of her. It was one big crushed egg. The yolk was in the nesting box. She laid a normal egg hours later covered in calcium snd all poops are normal. I looked at her a few minutes ago and she isn’t fluffed. I do see the same white thick goop on her butt. Not much though. Do you think I should continue the antibiotic?
She laid a normal egg today but it looks like she has fluid in her abdomen. I have her the antibiotic and the calcium. Can this resolve? She is still acting normal.

When you can, get some more photos of the discharge. Hard to tell if it's just urates from her poop on her feathers or if it's something a bit more concerning.

For now, if she's eating well, laying her normal egg, her crop is emptying, etc. then I would finish the antibiotic and give her calcium for a couple of more days. See how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom