broken egg under broody question

srg81

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Hey guys, there's a lot of information here to sort through, but I couldn't find where anyone had mentioned success of a clutch after an egg or 2 had broken within the clutch. I'm wondering if the eggs with a little dried yolk on the outside will still be viable? We had a cochin that decided to go broody on us for our first time a couple days ago. We were just able to check the eggs last night. There are a dozen eggs under her and at least one had been broken, although there wasn't much mess at all in there.. only some dried yolk and a few small bits of shell stuck to some of the eggs. Should I try to replace the whole clutch with clean eggs with strong shells or do these still have the possibility of hatching? I don't want to do anything that will break her broodiness because I've heard cochins can be quitters halfway through.. any advice appreciated.

The problem is that the bits of egg can be a breeding ground for bacteria, which can migrate inside to the chick. It's really a personal choice whether you take the chance and leave them alone, or remove and clean them, then put them back. I've had a few broodies and have chosen to remove and clean two or three times. I did get some chicks each time; I have no idea how that would have compared if I hadn't done this. I did find the egg contents had soaked into the hay when I did it.

Good luck, whichever way you go!

It doesn't sound like the nest & eggs are fouled enough to worry about. The hen probably ate the busted eggs but if any large juicy remains are present, remove them. When a rotten stinker busts is when you have problems.

Ok thanks guys. We'll probably just let them be and see what happens. Although we are excited about it, we are really just passively letting this happen. And we really don't know what we'd do with the chicks anyway, since we are pretty full. Also they will all be mixed breeds. We have a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster, and a bunch of different hens. Dominiques, Cochins, Buff Orp, Austrolorp, etc. Anybody have any idea how that might turn out?

I am having this same problem...a little "cat-squirrel", as they are called here in Louisiana, has been seen very near my hen house...always running a way...and both times there was 1 broken egg in my broody's clutch...2 nice green Ameraucana eggs!
After reading a few posts, I think I will candle them all this evening. I can't make up my mind whether to wash in hot water/bleach...iodine wash....or just leave them as is...Any definitive info would be nice...
hmm.png
There is a good bit of yolk dried on the eggs remaining...I clean out and replace the straw.

To update from our recent experience... I think the hen polishes off most of the broken egg material over the course of a day or two just by turning and setting on them. We did not wash any of our eggs, just pulled off as much of the broken bits of shell that were stuck to the outside of the remaining eggs. Our broken eggs happened at about days 2 and 3 I believe... We candled at about 12 days and removed 3 of 12 eggs that were undeveloped. 8 of the remaining 9 hatched and the one remaining egg was an almost fully developed chick.. don't know why it didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom