Broken fertile egg under broody hen

airybee

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
I have a broody hen sitting on a dozen fertile eggs. Yesterday, when we were checking on the eggs, which we do periodically, (because sometimes other hens will lay next to her and she winds up with extra eggs) we found one of them broken, it was fertile and developing when it broke, not rotten. It looks like the hen broke it on accident or maybe another hen tried to bully her out of her spot and it got damaged. The egg made a mess everywhere with blood and yolk. I wiped some of the remaining eggs off with warm water and a paper towel (some were clean so I didn't bother) but now I am reading that you really aren't supposed to do that because it wipes off the bloom which protects the eggs from bacteria. I actually wiped the eggs off because I was afraid of bacteria. Did I do more harm than good? We have 8/9 days to go in the incubation process. Thanks!

I had an egg break under a broody hen a few months ago and it made a huge mess in the nest. I carefully washed the remaining eggs under running warm water before putting them back under the hen. They all hatched. So don't worry. They should be fine. Good luck with your hatch and fingers crossed there will be no more mishaps!

I had an egg break under a broody hen a few months ago and it made a huge mess in the nest. I carefully washed the remaining eggs under running warm water before putting them back under the hen. They all hatched. So don't worry. They should be fine. Good luck with your hatch and fingers crossed there will be no more mishaps!
Thank you! Was hoping to hear this! Had one bantam hatch two eggs and another hatch one a few months ago. It was our first time letting our girls hatch eggs when they went broody-so much fun! I think we might have gotten carried away when our big cochin went broody this time. Will give my bigger girls fewer eggs next time around so there is more wiggle room :)

When I let my hens build their own nests they seem to prefer 12-13 eggs. If you can stop others bothering them or laying in their nests, they should be fine with a dozen eggs. Please keep us posted with this hatch?

When I let my hens build their own nests they seem to prefer 12-13 eggs. If you can stop others bothering them or laying in their nests, they should be fine with a dozen eggs. Please keep us posted with this hatch?
Will do! Thanks.

9 of the remaining chicks hatched on 10/18. All the babies are healthy and happy! Two were duds and were smelly by the time the other eggs hatched.

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom