Broken foot or leg

chickfan

Songster
10 Years
Oct 12, 2009
Leander, TX
My biggest and prettiest rooster had not been seen for two days/nights. I looked around and found nothing. This morning my grandson was here, and noticed some color behind some pieces of lattice leaning against one of the coops. ( I didn't even know a chicken could get back there, because I try to be careful when leaning anything at all up against a wall ). He pulled it back and there was the rooster (Mac), with foot caught up inside the openings in the lattice. Got him out but of course he can't walk. Crop completely empty. Got him in the house and put him on a towel, with bread, oatmeal and water in front of him. He finally ate, and has made a mess of poop in my house, so I'll put him in a cage and keep him in for awhile.
In looking for his vent, to see if he was impacted, I saw mites. In our 3 years of having fowl out here, I've never seen mites on any of them. I have DE so will dust him good with that. I can't imagine how fun it will be to check 55 fowl..we have chickens, ducks, and guineas.
I have no clue what to do about the foot/leg. I know this issue has been discussed in this forum plenty of times, but never having had the problem, I never read enough to remember what to do.
Any help at all will be much appreciated!!!!!
Lou Nell

Thanks so much for your reply, Judy. I clicked on the site you sent, and started reading...then got called away for grandmother duties :0) I saved it, but am just now able to sit down to the computer, after a busy day.
Mac is in a cage in the house. He has moved around a lot...has had something to eat and drink, and is now wanting to go to sleep. I held him earlier while the grands sprinkled him good with DE. I couldn't find the Sevin dust, although I have some here somewhere.
When closing up the chickens for the night, I looked at the vent on three of them and saw no mites. I would think if one had them, others would, so I'll keep looking.
I guess there is the chance that maybe Mac's leg or foot is not broken, but just stiff and sore. No telling how long that leg had been trapped. Nothing looks out of place, but that doesn't mean much I guess. I'll wait and see if he starts indicating he might can walk on it, and I'll also carefully read the site you sent.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom