Broken Glass :(

BirdNerd101

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 11, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
I have a heat lamp in my coop which fell down and shattered on the ground. I havent been using it for a while so it was not on. The top part broke off where it gets screwed into the lamp. There were around 10 big and little shards of glass i could find, and i picked them up. I then didn't think much of it and bed it down with new straw and let the ducks in. Then after reading so posts here, i decided to go back out and clean it up better. I raked out the new straw and took it away. I took a small dust vacuum and slurped up aroubd where the lamp had fallen. Then i wiped it with a damp paper towel to get any micro shards. I bedded it down and let the ducks back in. Do you think the ducks could have eaten any in the time i let them in?(around 10mins) and do you think it is cleaned well enough? There was still some straw left after I vacuumed most up, and i am worried about the ducks eating small shards of glass that i might have missed. Lastly, would a small shard (like really small) hurt a duck if it happened to eat it?
I am really worried
Thank you

Last edited:
The best you can do is watch them for the next couple of days and look for any signs of blood in poop or on the ducks bottom for more expert advice if you have facebook go to country critter folks page and post there

Am i worried too much? @Amiga would a small piece of glass be fatal? Not much glass even broke, just the top of the bulb. Im pretty sure i cleaned it up good, but still have my doubts.

Last edited:
I think you are right to be concerned, and ducks often lead charmed lives! Their digestive systems grind things up pretty well.

Here's a thought - just an idea, nothing scientific - comfrey herb is said to be healing to the digestive tract. You might put a small sprinkle of it in the food.

(Here, I need to address the people who have read that comfrey is bad for the liver. There are two camps on this - there was a study done in the 1970's where rats were fed loads and loads of comfrey, I don't know if it was leaves or roots. The roots contain more of the substance in question. And the rats developed liver problems. At the same time, comfrey is considered a forage plant, and many feel that as long as it is not overdone, it should be okay unless there is already an underlying liver problem.)

I would watch the duck's stool for any signs of bleeding. Things run through a duck pretty quickly - I would think that by now you'd see something if there were something to see.

When Einz swallowed a small piece of plastic wrap, my chest was tight for a couple of days with worry. She is still fine, now five years later.

Ok! Thank you! I will check in there coop for their stool. I am still most concerned about them finding a piece i missed down the line.

Back
Top Bottom