Broken-Hearted

oh thasts devastating news. im so sorry you had to go through this.
i had a quoll come in to my chook pen a few months back and rip apart 5 of my chickens i had just brought a few months back. the next night i went back to find it had taken another 4 chickens i was devastated finding ripped up chickens EVERYWHERE through out the chook pen. i live in australia! they are very nasty animals.

Yes, I will live trap it and relocate. I think it’s a possum and it’s just being a possum. Thank you.
I don't believe in relocation and in many places it is illegal unless you have the property owners permission where you are relocating your catch to. We are rural on a dead end road and have been the recipients of other peoples relocations. I have caught many and have eliminated them. I would contact a wildlife rescue. They have areas they relocate to. I caught an owl and called a wildlife rescue and they came and got it and said they had an area they relocate to.
IMG_20200229_133056.jpg

I don't believe in relocation and in many places it is illegal unless you have the property owners permission where you are relocating your catch to. We are rural on a dead end road and have been the recipients of other peoples relocations. I have caught many and have eliminated them. I would contact a wildlife rescue. They have areas they relocate to. I caught an owl and called a wildlife rescue and they came and got it and said they had an area they relocate to.
View attachment 2388960
The last critter was relocated to a reserve.

Because of being a recipient of relocations and some research, I came across this.
Moving wildlife
Moving wildlife is illegal, ineffective, and often harmful to the animal. Read on to find out why.

Overview
Animals are most often moved by people who are experiencing problems with wildlife or by those who think the animal would be better off somewhere else. Never move wildlife; it can cause a lot of harm to the animal. Not only is moving wildlife illegal in most states, but it is often ineffective for those who are trying to find a solution to a wildlife problem.
Here are some reasons not to move wildlife:
  • The animal may be hit by a vehicle while traveling back home.
  • The animal will struggle finding food, water, and shelter in a new area, possible leading to death. Animals have great instincts and choose specific habitats because they can find resources they need to survive there.
  • The area may be home to members of the same species. They will not welcome the newcomer, causing conflict, stress, or even death.
  • If the animal is diseased, it may spread that disease to other animals.
  • You could disrupt certain ecological processes by moving wildlife to a new area.
  • The animal will just cause the same problems to someone else.
  • Moving the animal does not address the cause of the problem, which will likely reoccur. Other members of the species will move in.
  • Most stated have laws that prohibits the capture and relocation of wildlife off your property. This law has been in effect for many years. This is meant to keep both wildlife and people safe. Check with your state first before you relocate an animal.
This was dropped off at the end of my driveway. It's not a predator but someone did drop it off. I did care for it and found it a home.

Attachments

• Gosling.JPG
    Gosling.JPG
    561.2 KB · Views: 1
Yes, I will live trap it and relocate. I think it’s a possum and it’s just being a possum. Thank you.
It is also so wonderful that we have a special place here at BYC where others can comfort and empathize with us as well as cheer with us during the good days and be there in times when we need hands to tenderly cradle our heart so it heals. Please know you are not alone as we understand and I know you'll catch that opportunistic opossum and send it far, far away!

It is also so wonderful that we have a special place here at BYC where others can comfort and empathize with us as well as cheer with us during the good days and be there in times when we need hands to tenderly cradle our heart so it heals. Please know you are not alone as we understand and I know you'll catch that opportunistic opossum and send it far, far away!
Thank you!

Because of being a recipient of relocations and some research, I came across this.
Moving wildlife
Moving wildlife is illegal, ineffective, and often harmful to the animal. Read on to find out why.

Overview
Animals are most often moved by people who are experiencing problems with wildlife or by those who think the animal would be better off somewhere else. Never move wildlife; it can cause a lot of harm to the animal. Not only is moving wildlife illegal in most states, but it is often ineffective for those who are trying to find a solution to a wildlife problem.
Here are some reasons not to move wildlife:
  • The animal may be hit by a vehicle while traveling back home.
  • The animal will struggle finding food, water, and shelter in a new area, possible leading to death. Animals have great instincts and choose specific habitats because they can find resources they need to survive there.
  • The area may be home to members of the same species. They will not welcome the newcomer, causing conflict, stress, or even death.
  • If the animal is diseased, it may spread that disease to other animals.
  • You could disrupt certain ecological processes by moving wildlife to a new area.
  • The animal will just cause the same problems to someone else.
  • Moving the animal does not address the cause of the problem, which will likely reoccur. Other members of the species will move in.
  • Most stated have laws that prohibits the capture and relocation of wildlife off your property. This law has been in effect for many years. This is meant to keep both wildlife and people safe. Check with your state first before you relocate an animal.
This was dropped off at the end of my driveway. It's not a predator but someone did drop it off. I did care for it and found it a home.

The opossum was moved to a refuge.

Back
Top Bottom