Broken joint

keechoo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
We have a buff orpington (sp?) who was hit by a car this past Thursday. She received a broken leg at the joint. My neighbor doesn't think anything can be done for her and hubby doesn't want to bring her to the vet. Right now, I have her in a box in the house. She is eating and drinking with no problems and releasing her bowels. Has anyone else had an issue with a broken joint? How did you resolve it? Right now, we plan on keeping her in the house until she is strong enough to stand even if it is on one leg. I was thinking of trying to make her some type of scooter so she could wheel herself around if only to get some exercise. Yes, I know it is probably a ridiculous idea but I want the best for her even though he won't allow me to take her to the vet. Also, once it gets warmer out, I plan on taking her outside for some fresh air and some contact with her "family". They were very concerned with her the day of the accident. They all came and formed a protective ring around her with one laying right next to her.

At the joint? Have you tired resetting it? Splint it for sure. She should heal just fine, but it may not heal the same. Either way, she'll adapt to it. Chickens are very hardy creatures.

It's too high up to split it. My neighbor, who has owned chickens for a very, very long time said it couldn't be split. The break is where the main body and leg connect. Thanks for the help.

I had a 5 mo. rooster who broke his leg at the joint. It just dangled. He hopped around on one leg. I read all the suggestions, splint, put him out of his misery, etc. I put him in a large cage with food, water and straw. For about a week he just lay around, eating a little. After a week, I heard him crow for the first and thought that a good sign. I kept him in the cage till he could hop around really well. In a few months he was fine. He is my best roo. We call him Hoppy (how original) and he no longer even limps.
smile.png

Oh, I thought you meant the hock joint. Well, that's a bad place to break. Keep him on a surface that's easy for him to walk (not slippery), and give him time. He should heal eventually.

Ginny, does he still hop on one leg or was he ever able to use the leg again? Did the others accept him back into the flock? Hubby wants to add her back in but I'm afraid she will be picked on. She has been talking to me which I find a good sign since she was quiet for awhile. No more eggs coming from her but I expected that.

Thanks everyone!

I too have a Roo with a broken leg, Vida Blue. He broke is hock joint two weeks ago, and I splinted it best I could. I kept him in our small dogkennel for two days but he just looked so darned uncomfortable, so that is when I decided to make a chicken sling or chicken chair, at least that is what I think it is called. It is basically a hammock of fabric stretched across a large kennel, with two holes for the legs. I have newspaper behind him, so all his droppings fall on it and I can keep things somewhat clean. I did sew two channels on eather side of the fabric, right outside the kennel, so I could put to dowels in for more support.
11732_img_1507.jpg

He is more comfortable and he doesn't have any weight on his bad leg.
Unfortunately his splint came apart today, does anybody think I should resplint it or should I just leave it alone and hope for the best?

Keecho, I will keep you little Buff in my thoughts. Since she is eating and pooping she is doing alright. Just try to keep her as still as possible, and maybe make her a chicken sling or something similar to keep her more comfy until it heals. I heard it can take 4-6 weeks, the longer off her leg the better.

Kindly, Kycklingmamma

Last edited:
kycklingmama, Thanks for the words of encouragement and for the suggestion about the hammock. My only problem with that is that the break is basically at the hip joint and I think would be more painful than her laying as she is. The foot on that side is in a claw position and I never see her stretch the toes so I'm thinking she may have paralysis in that leg.

I'm still toying with the scooter idea for her. I put her in the run with the rest of her flock. One female was vicioous and I kept going at it with a stick. The older rooster went after her a few times but each nip got softer and softer till he stopped and now just circles her and stays close. I think he has accepted her back into the flock and is protecting her from that one mean one. All the other girls have left hr alone as have the other roosters. She went to fight off the mean girl by hopping and beating her wings. She hit mean girl with them a few times and meany backed off. She has been trying to hop and is showing improvement. She keeps hopping to the rest of the flock using her wings for momentem (sp?).

I'm still worried about her staying the night with them but hubby doesn't want hr in the house anymore.

Thanks everyone! More suggestions and stories are appreciated!

Keecho,

Do you have anywhere else you can keep her. I was told by someone on here to keep Vida inside if possible, if not to keep him away from the flock so he can heal without having to "fight" off the others.
Do you have a garage or shed that can be her "home" for a while?
I understand your husband. We have one rooster in the livingroom, by the backdoor, so i can let him get fresh air during the days, one brooder with 12 chicks in the breakfast nook as well as another brooder with three ducklings in it. And I am so tired of the dust and smell, not so much from the chicks but from Vida the rooster and the adorable but stinky ducks.
Kycklingmamma

Last edited:
I ended up putting her back in the coop before I read the post. First I kept her in the box so the others could see her and after a little while let her out. I sat next to her in my chair with a big stick while some of the others came to see her. One hen was pretty mean and got whacked a bit but it didn't deter her from trying again and again and again. One of the younger roosters tried pecking at her also. The oldest rooster pecked at her too but after a while ignored her. I then had to leave for a few minutes and when I got back, she had hopped over to a new spot. Chief (the oldest rooster) went over to her and pecked her very lightly. After that he wouldn't let anyone else next to her.

She has been with the flock for a month now and still doesn't have use of her leg. The others don't bother her anymore and have even seen some empathy from the others. One hen (who daughter named Angel) has truly become an angel by bringing pieces of food over to her which is just too cute! Chief rounds her inside when it starts getting dark, a storm is a-brewing, or it is too windy. He also keeps the other rooster away from her. She has taken it upon herself to lay on the eggs that the girls have decided to hatch.

As for feeding, she can get to the food and water if she wants but on bad days I give hers separately so she doesn't have to make the trip. All scraps and goodies get fed to her by hand so the others don't try to grab it from her. She has learned that if she sees me or hears me that she doesn't have to move to me since she will be hand-fed.

My daughter has named her and her sister (who looks exactly alike) Blossom but now we have Blossom and One-Legged Blossom

Back
Top Bottom