Broken leg/chicken sling

So. This 12 week old roo broke a leg after being tackled by my 7month old pup. So our options were cull or try to rehab. ..we first started with a simple splint made of gauze and popsicle stick...however he was essentially laying in his own poop...so my brain got to working and I thought of making a chicken sling.....i will be tweeking this idea as the weeks go on......as of now he's happy and clean and eating and drinking....any suggestions or similar experiences with injured chickens? View attachment 1099639 View attachment 1099640 View attachment 1099641 View attachment 1099642

Could you please post more instructions/pictures? Also, if the sling presses on his craw, will it cause problems?
So. This 12 week old roo broke a leg after being tackled by my 7month old pup. So our options were cull or try to rehab. ..we first started with a simple splint made of gauze and popsicle stick...however he was essentially laying in his own poop...so my brain got to working and I thought of making a chicken sling.....i will be tweeking this idea as the weeks go on......as of now he's happy and clean and eating and drinking....any suggestions or similar experiences with injured chickens? View attachment 1099639 View attachment 1099640 View attachment 1099641 View attachment 1099642

This might not be helpful if you don't have the right materials, but we once made a very effective sling out of k'nex (a plastic construction toy for boys) and a sponge. The hen could even push herself around a bit, once we put wheels on the bottom. Slings are definitely useful.
And I like that one.
I would LOVE to see that. Do you have a pic? (She says, going to dig out her son's old k'nex.

Back
Top Bottom