Broken Leg - Injured trying to save a hen from an Eagle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mommy Melly, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Mommy Melly

Mommy Melly New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    Yesterday I woke up to a dead hen and a nearly dead rooster. An Eagle tried to take the hen. She died almost instantly from her injurys. My bantam rooster tried in vain to save her (brave little man) and was close to death himself. He slept most of the day yesterday...drinking ok in the afternoon... Eating a bit in the evening. Today he seams pretty perky. Eating/ drinking/ alert....but he has at least one (maybe both) broken legs.

I know this is where the farmers are shaking their heads at me. We didn't think he would make through the day...now he seems to be improving but....Has anyone ever had a chicken/rooster that lived with a broken leg?

He is currently living in my kitchen LOL. Sleeping in a tub looking like a king...next to the dog. I don't think I can put him down if he is otherwise ok.....

Help.... This is our first coop attack.

Thanks
    Melanie
    Langley, BC, Canada

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You will need to stabilize the leg so the bones will knit back together. Just splint it using whatever seems sensible for a splint, like a popsicle stick wrapped in gauze so it doesn't dig into the skin, or maybe vet wrap. Watch the foot to make sure it stays normal color, to be sure the splint isn't too tight and cutting off circulation. It likely won't heal normally but he should be able to get along OK.

Hopefully someone comes along with a little more info. Someone on here has a link to some orthopedic type info for chickens.

Of course a vet would be great -- for most on here this isn't an option, though.

3. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    I"ve had a button quail break both legs - not fun at all! You do need to stabalize the bones, ideally the 'hock' joint as well. Popsicle sticks or stiff cardboard folded in a "V" should work... and he must be confined in the smallest place possible - NO walking around! My quail I had to imobilize him by taping his legs then running tape under his wings and over his back. I had to prop him upright since he just would tip over, but eventually he healed up and walked with hardly a limp. Good luck!

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

have no answer...a question how long dose it take to heal? [​IMG]

5. Mommy Melly

Mommy Melly New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    Thanks!

My DH is home soon (two sets of adult hands I thought would be a good idea). I will set him up a splint and vet wrap. I'm hopeful the one leg is just soar.... Not so hopeful about the othe leg it doesn't look good [​IMG]

Any ideas on how long to keep him off the leg if it is broken? I hadn't heard of a chicken surviving a broken leg before. Also, how much aspirin would you give a chicken?

Thanks again
    Melanie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by