Broken leg: Is there hope?

I’ve only ever used a sling successfully with an adult chicken before, but that chick sling does look very functional. All my chick leg issues were slipped tendons I was not able to recover, but I have dealt with one adult leg break. It wasn’t perfectly set and she limped after it healed for the rest of her life but was happy and healthy until then. I hope things work out for your chick. Keep us updated!

sorry for the late reply... and I have to say, everything @Shezadandy said seems good to me. Look forward to hear how things turn out.
Thanks for the good news! How did you make a sling? My chick looks adult, just smaller, not like a baby chick anymore.
I've made a cardboard sleeve for his leg. It might not be tight enough, but I think :fl it will heal more or less straight. He seems to be OK and improving.

Hi experts.
This morning when I opened my coop, one of my chicks had a broken leg. Right above the wrist, both bones clean break.
Is there anything I can do? Can one splint fowl legs?
Thanks in advance.
The chick is almost 6 weeks old.
Update: My boy recovered well, slight limp. For a while it looked as if he wouldn't be able to use his foot, but all's well. After the first couple of days, he insisted on spending time with his siblings and they were very concerned and caring. It was heartwarming to watch the interactions. At same time, a pullet got sour crop and for a while it was touch and go. But both have recovered. They are significantly smaller than their flock mates, since during their recovery they failed to thrive. But they are thriving now. So thankful.
I just ❤❤❤🐔🐣🐤! 20201027_094443.jpg

Update: My boy recovered well, slight limp. For a while it looked as if he wouldn't be able to use his foot, but all's well. After the first couple of days, he insisted on spending time with his siblings and they were very concerned and caring. It was heartwarming to watch the interactions. At same time, a pullet got sour crop and for a while it was touch and go. But both have recovered. They are significantly smaller than their flock mates, since during their recovery they failed to thrive. But they are thriving now. So thankful.
I just ❤❤❤🐔🐣🐤! View attachment 2409308
Oh ! And I just saw in this picture our old boy, Chocolate, who passed away on Sunday. 😢😢😢. He was 16.

Attachments

• 20201105_061839.jpg
    20201105_061839.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom