Broken Leg PONY SAUERBRATEN

LittleChickenRacingTeam

On vacation
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Ontario, CANADA
Our neigbours pony broke a leg in a gopher hole a week ago. The hubby knows I enjoy horsemeat, said if I dispatched it, I could have the carcass.

Normally we buy horsemeat at the butcher. This time my friend helped me butcher & chilled air age it. I'm telling you this was by far the most tender, delicious horse dish I've ever consumed.
This is a typical German recipe for horse that I used.

Sauerbraten (Sour Roast)

2-1/2 lbs. horse meat roast
4 strips bacon (optional)
soup vegetables: carrot, celery, leek (optional), parsley root (optional), onion (optional)
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 pint red wine (optional)
1 garlic clove
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. juniper berries
3 allspice corns and/or cloves
3 peppercorns
1 thyme branch
1/4 cup pork lard
1 Tbsp. flour (optional)
1/2 cup raisins
salt
pepper
maple syrup (to taste)

Vigorously rub the horse roast with the bacon. Clean and wash the vegetables and cut them into pieces. Bring the vinegar to boil with some water or stock, then let it cool down a bit and add the horse meat, garlic, spices, and the vegetables. Let it marinade in a closed bowl for several days (but at least 24 hours) in a cool place.

Remove the horse meat from the marinade and roast it in the lard. Then slowly add the marinade, together with the vegetables and the spices. Braise it in the oven for 2 to 21/2 hours at 350 degrees. Remove the bay leaves, the cloves and the juniper berries from the gravy. Strain the gravy, and perhaps thicken it with some flour. Add the raisins and season it with salt, pepper, and maple syrup. Serves 4.

I like hearing about others peoples taste for Food! I don't think I could eat it if I KNEW what I was eating... but put a plate in front of my face and let me taste it without telling me what it was and I might enjoy it! lol. After I was done and digested it, I would like to know though! lol.

I am glad you enjoyed your meal!

Horsemeat is considered a delicacy in Canada, Mexico, & MANY European countries.

If you live in the USA. I'll bet you've eaten it as well.

Remember when the Burger places started advertising that their burgers were made with 100% beef a few years ago.

That's right, they were buying ground beef that contained up to 20% horsemeat.

Last edited:
With a delicate flavor similar to beef, though many describe its taste as slightly sweeter than other meats, horse meat can be used to replace beef, pork, mutton, and any other meat in virtually any recipe, though most aficionados prefer it in marinated or spicy dishes. Nutritionally, horse meat has around 40 percent fewer calories than the leanest beef, while supplying 50 percent more protein and as much as 30 percent more iron; and horse fat is considered an excellent health-conscious deep-frying alternative, especially for delicately-flavored foods that are easily overpowered by heavier oils.

if you substitute the horse for beef roast, this is something i make quite often. My recipe is similar. Glad you enjoyed it. Think I will stick to the beef version though.

How much meat did you wind up with from the pony? In my mind I am guessing about like a mid sized deer as far as quantity?

sickbyc.gif
No Thanks

I'm something of an adventurist when it comes to food. I'll try anything once, twice if I like it. I mean, I like nutria rat, taste great in jambalaya. Throw some horse meat in there, who knows. Could be tasty.

I am just glad that they took care of the pony rather quickly and that it didnt have to make a heinous trip to a slaughter plant to then be rendered.

Would I do that myself?(ie eat the neighbors pony) No. But to each their own

Back
Top Bottom