Broken Leg?

Starlight Farms

Hatching
Apr 14, 2017
My hen, Sweetie was injured nearly 3 weeks ago. She doesn't seem to be improving. My husband wants to put her down, but if there is hope for her, I'd rather not.

This is a video of her from yesterday.

She looks like her leg may be paralyzed. Did you see her injure it, or did you just find her this way? Was the leg ever swollen or bruised? Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease, since that sometimes can cause paralysis of a leg or wing? It could be that if she broke it, there could be some nerve damage. Could you take her to a vet for an xray? If you have some chicken vitamins for the water, or some human B Complex, I would put some in her water or grind up the tablet in some food.

I got Sweetie from a friend who was down-sizing. Just before I arrived at her house, Sweetie got in a "scuffle" with a hen that was protecting her nest of eggs. After that, Sweetie started limping. Then, when we were trying to crate her, she had a little bit of a freak-out & tumbled to the ground. We believe she may have been injured even more at that point.

I have not noticed any obvious swelling or bruising, just the terrible limp. X-rays are not in the budget, but I can look into the vitamins.

Bumblefoot...I didn't even know what that was. So I looked it up. I didn't notice anything like bumblefoot, but I'll check again tomorrow.

Last edited:
I got Sweetie from a friend who was down-sizing. Just before I arrived at her house, Sweeting got in a "scuffle" with a hen that was protecting her nest of eggs. After that, Sweetie started limping. Then, when we were trying to crate her, she had a little bit of a freak-out & tumbled to the ground. We believe she may have been injured even more at that point.

I have not noticed any obvious swelling or bruising, just the terrible limp. X-rays are not in the budget, but I can look into the vitamins.

Bumblefoot...I didn't even know what that was. So I looked it up. I didn't notice anything like bumblefoot, but I'll check again tomorrow.

Please give an update here on her condition after she has been on vitamins. There are quite a few pictures of little "wheelchairs for chickens" if you Google that and go up to images. Having a chicken or rooster who has become paralyzed in one leg is very common, and people have designed some pretty impresseive ones.

Back
Top Bottom